Synching vs. backing up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tigress666, May 13, 2012.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so my iPad has a game on it that suddenly won't run. I don't want to just erase and re install it cause the save game data I have was a lot of work to get to where I am.

But... I was thinking maybe it would work if I restored it to a previous image before the game started having this issue.

But, the last time it backed up to icloud was yesterday at 4 pm. Ideally I'd like to restore from sometime after 12 am (for reasons I made a major breakthrough around then in the game). I noticed that the ipad synched today through wi fi synch at 12 PM?

So if I restore from the backup on the computer, will it restore from that synch (I haven't physically backed it up on the computer since I don't know when)? What does the synch exactly synch that I could get back from that synch?

2. doboy macrumors 68000

I would first do a device reset by power+home button to make sure the app is really corrupted. Then try iExplorer from Macroplant on your PC/Mac to browse through the app data and save the document folder inside the app to your PC/Mac so you can later transfer back after reinstalling the app. However, some apps don't store anything in the document folder so in that case I really don't know any other method other than full restore from backup.

Btw, what game is it?

3. tigress666, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

It is C.H.A.O.S. and if I press home and power at once does it say anything different (it just tells me to slide to turn off so I don't know if it registered that correctly or if it looks the same as me just using the power button).

And yeah, even that doesn't fix it if I did it right :(. Right now I'm also seeing if the developers can do anything (I know they have offered to port games over from different devices as they don't support having the same game app data between different devices but they don't mind porting your info from one to the other. Don't know how they do it, apparently requires your device ID and I don't know if your device has to be able to run the game for them to do it either. It's freemium so I think this is their way of saying you have to pay for the game on each device but they don't mind if you are switching devices you use mainly to put your main game data on that).

BTW... I got iExplorer open on my iPad... any way to be able to spot what might be the game save data? Like any extensions i should be looking for?

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Hold it even longer, even passed "slide to turn off" it will turn off by itself.

5. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

*sigh* that didn't fix it.

It's a freemium game the developers have a way of transferring game save data if you give them your device imei (? is that the right word) number.

It has a document folder with a file named: storekitreceipts.archive in it... could that possibly be the save data?

(I don't know with freemium with in game purchases the game save data would save the same stuff?).

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I believe you mean UDID, but apple ended support for apps using UDID in iOS 5.0 (maybe you are thinking of something else, and I'm wrong), if the game is online, like required a wifi/3G connection to play, it may have your data stored on a server, but if it isn't then your data has to be saved on your device somewhere.

You could try that archive file, it doesn't sound like a save game, but the documents folder is where save files are normally stored, so that would probably be your best bet if it is the only thing in it.

As I think about it, it does seem like your data may be stored on a server. Does the game require any type of login or password?

7. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Actually it doesn't honestly but I had a few people with the game tell me they erased and re installed and didn't lose their stuff so I tried and that's true (seriously I didn't log in after I re-installed, it took a second and then it recognized me. And I tested the iphone first and it did there too).