Synchronising iCal and Google Calendar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stringtheorist, Sep 7, 2012.

1. stringtheorist, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

stringtheorist macrumors regular

I use primarily Google calendar for everything because I need to share a lot of my data with other people who don't use Macs. However, I prefer the iCal iPhone app to the Google Cal app, and would prefer to do everything in iCal and sync to my iPhone with iCloud. So I'm trying to get iCal data to work interchangeably with Google.

I've figured out how to import iCal calendars into Google Calendar but new entries in Google don't show in iCal and changes to iCal don't materialise in Google. Is there any way to synchronise these calendars properly in both directions so I can edit in either app?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You can set up the Google calendar in the iPhone's built-in Calendar app. No need to sync it with an iCloud account which is almost impossible to do. Only way I know of is with the paid service at memotoo.com.

3. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do this? Can I edit the data in both iCal and Google?

4. jrs22 macrumors 6502

Tis is how I set up my MBP. I have an iPod and an iPad so all three devices sync with google and all changes show up on all devices. Look in calendar settings on your MBP and Just use google, not iCloud, to do this.

5. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

What's MBP?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

MacBook Pro

7. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

I don't use a MacBook.

8. ankurshr macrumors newbie

Switch to Exchange

Add your Google account as Microsoft Exchange instead of a Google Account and delete the same account which was setup as Google account in your iPhone.

This will hit many birds with one stone.
    1. You will be able to share you calendar with other Google users.
    2. You will be able to see other Google users' shared Google calendars in your native calendar app in iPhone.
    3. Now you will get push mail instead of a delayed refresh of 15 minutes or so.
    4. You will be able to action meeting requests directly from your iPhone (with accept/deny options showing up in iCal).
    5. If you have already upgraded to Mountain Lion on your mac, you will be able to do the same in your mac Calendar too.

You can then go in your settings and play with the account settings as per your needs (e.g. how many days emails should you haev on your iPhone, which folders can send push and so on).

I have the same setup in my iPhone and iMac, where I use my Google calendar which is shared with my wife. Her calendar is shared with me, which I can see in my iPhone and iMac native calendar apps too. I have also subscribed to holiday calendars so that I don't accidentally go to work on a holiday :)

9. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds good. And how do I add my Google account as Microsoft Exchange?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does not matter what kind of Mac you have. OS X will work the same for iCal on any Mac.

Here you go.