Synchronize folders on two macs via intranet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reliability, Aug 12, 2009.

1. reliability macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have been googling the internet for an answer for my question, but I have found no satisfactory one.

I would like to keep a perfect mirror of my documents on two different macs. Sometimes I work on the documents on one mac and in the process, files are created and deleted. Sometimes I do the same on another mac. But I would like the two macs to keep identical files. Therefore, I would like a program to copy the changes from the first mac to the second, before I start working on them.

Basically the operation should correspond to overwrite the documents folder on the mac I am about to work on with the latest copy from the mac I worked on last time.

I do not want to keep my files in the cloud.

Thanks in advance,
    reliability

2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

There are several services that do just what you are asking. For awhile I used Microsoft Live Sync (previously called Foldershare) to sync between a PC and a Mac, and it worked well for me.

https://www.foldershare.com/

3. reliability thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Phatpat, I will look into Microsoft Live Sync.

If anyone knows of a similar program that does not require an account anywhere, I would be interested to hear about it.

4. Halcyon macrumors 6502

ChronoSync does exactly what you want...and more. It's a paid for app, but it's worth every penny.

At the end of the day (or whenever I choose to) I sync my iMac with my MB and I have the latest revision of the files I've been working, on both machines.

HTH

5. reliability thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Halcyon, it sounds like ChronoSync is exactly the type of program I am looking for.

6. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Glad to assist.

Word of caution: Even though ChronoSync is pretty much straightforward and its manual explains all options very well, I recommend setting up a dummy folder with dummy files on each machine and using them to experiment the various options the app has to offer. It's sad to see files vanish when they are overwritten by mistake...

7. reliability thread starter macrumors newbie

8. RPlakas macrumors newbie

9. ooninay macrumors member

I didn't think ChronoSync worked over the Internet...?

10. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I'm actually using the free service (2gb) from dropbox... it's nice because it adds its own folder in the finder, just drag n' drop... snyc'd! It's nice because it works on various OS's too.

--rob