Synchronizing contacts FROM iphone 3G to outlook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Psyxologos, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been discussed, I ran a quick search but did not find anything relevant.

Is it possible to synchronize my updated contacts FROM my iphone to my computer? I have made a few changes to my numbers since I transferred all my numbers from my N95 to outlook and then to my iphone and would like to update that information on my computer with the latest from my iphone.

If it is possible, which steps do I need to take?

Thanks!

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Not a problem.

The first thing that you want to do is back-up your phone.

Just sync it in iTunes, and it should back up automatically.

Then click on the Contacts tab in iTunes, and set up your phone to sync with Outlook. If it's already set up this way, it should have done this when you plugged your phone in.

I'm not a Windows user, so I can't tell you in great detail how to do this, but it shouldn't be too complicated.

Now, your phone will do one of two things--It will either sync in both directions, or it will replace everything that is on your phone, with everything that is in Outlook.

If it does, in fact, delete the contacts that you have changed on your phone, don't unplug it! Go to your phone's icon in iTunes, right click on it, and restore from back-up.

After restoring from back-up, you should be able to sync again, and it should go in both directions.

...I think. lol

3. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Actually, this is what I want to avoid. I would hate to see my iphone contacts been overwritten by the outdated ones from outlook. At the moment I have the contacts box under info unchecked, so I am not sure what it will happen once the boxed it is checked.

I want to have the contacts updating one way, from my phone to outloook, and not the opposite.

Now I am the confused...
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

5. Dre325 macrumors newbie

It sounds like your contacts in Outlook are incorrect or out of date, right, so you don't want them transferring to your phone? Just delete them out of Outlook, then, and sync your phone as explained above and it will recreate the contacts in Outlook, from the entries on your iphone.

After you do this, every time you sync it will backup any contact changes you made on your phone into Outlook and if you happen to change a contact in Outlook, it will sync that change to your phone (it goes both ways which is pretty helpful).

6. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

This is a tedious way to do it but, in my opinion it is the only way to ensure that you get everything correct. When I first got my iphone I went through Outlook and updated every contact making sure everything was correct and had all of the information I wanted before I plugged my phone in. It took awhile, yes, but I think it was time well spent to have everything correct. I have over 200 contacts, you may have more but its worth the time to do it right.

Now my iphone and Outlook syncs back and forth with ease. Calendar, contacts, notes etc. Everything works like it is supposed to because I took the time to make sure of it.

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

That's why you want to back-up first, and then restore from back-up if necessary. I think this may be the only way, aside from manually entering them all.

What will happen, I believe, may be exactly what you fear. Your iPhone contacts may (or may not) be replaced by your Outlook contacts.

However, checking that box is the only way to get everything in sync.

What you will do now, is restore from the back-up that you just made, and then your newer info should reappear on your iPhone.

Now, the next time that you sync, the info should transfer to Outlook.

If you want to be extra cautious, and if your phone is jailbroken, you may want to SSH into your phone first, and create a back-up of your Contacts.db file.

8. Psyxologos thread starter macrumors regular

OK. I have followed the advice given here and.....

It deleted ALL my contacts! :confused::confused::confused:

I did a restore and after 30 minutes is still restoring (I have loads of music in my iphone).

I do not know why it deleted all my contacts from the phone, but fingers crossed it will work fine now...