Synchronizing Desktop with Laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by klagreca, Mar 16, 2009.

1. klagreca macrumors newbie

klagreca

Hi folks,
    Did a search about synchronizing and the existing threads are a bit old, so I'd like to reopen the discussion.

Here's the situation: I would like to have a setup where my Macbook Pro is completely in sync with my Mac Mini. Emails, files, settings, favorites, etc. Ideally, I want complete transparency in that I can work on stuff on my laptop, shut it down, come home and sit down at my Mini and be completely ready to continue working.

The existing threads talk about Chronosync, which is still an option...not entirely a transparent one. I also have MobileMe.

So, best case scenario, what are my options?

Thanks!
    Kris

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I've just purchased ChronoSync to do exactly this, and it's great. As long as my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are on the same network, they sync with each other.

Takes a while to work it all out, but well worth $40.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The op said one Mac is at work and one at home. If chronosync only works on the same network, then he's out of luck; they will not be on the same network.

4. klagreca thread starter macrumors newbie

klagreca

I actually own a license for Chronosync, funny that you mention.. I thought that Chronosync solves the documents syncing issue, but not things like Mac Mail stores, contacts, news feeds, itunes library etc. Peskaa, do you have Chronosync syncing everything?

But yes, the two computers would be on the same network, if that the scenario.

Thanks!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. wwilcoxen1 macrumors newbie

Chronos

Just used the Migration Assistant from my old mac Pro to my new MacBook. Wow, what a dream from past file transfers. Maybe Apple should take the next step and incorporate some type of mirroring/syncing module to this utility. Be that as it may, it seems ChronaSync may work, I will give it a try. I just hope my MacBokk will not look any different after I sync than it does now, except for the syncing part of course. it is my understanding that my .mac account will take care of email, calender and address updating.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Alas, I only use it for my Aperture library - MobileMe does a lot of my other sync work that is needed. However, Cronosync should be able to do all of that, after all it is just data.