Synchronizing e-mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sebhengelo, Aug 29, 2011.

1. sebhengelo macrumors newbie

I've been using my iPhone along with my PC for a while now, but recently I've purchased a MacBook Pro. However, I'm still struggling with the problem that the unread e-mail I've opened on my iPhone is still marked as unread in Mail on the MacBook, and vice versa. This forces me to open e-mails on both devices, which can be quite a drag when you're receiving up to 50 e-mails a day. Is there a way to synchronize the read-status of the mails in my inbox?

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

How your mail is handled on your phone and your PC has to do with what type of mail account you have. If your mail is a POP3 account, then it is designed to generally be checked by a single email client, and when you look at it on two separate clients, each is going to believe the mail is new. The exception would be if you have the mail deleted from the server when it is downloaded to one of the clients.

If the mail is IMAP, that is designed to be synced between multiple clients and once it is read on one, it should be marked read on all, and all of the folders stay in sync. Similar to Exchange mail only without the push.

So we would need to know what type of account you have to better answer the question.

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

More than likely the email account you are using is POP3.

You need to switch the setting from POP3 to IMAP.

What email service are you using?

Gmail? Yahoo? Hotmail?