Synchronizing my Home Folder

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have two macs, one at home and one at work. I would like to be able to synchronize the two home folders at least on a daily basis. What are some methods for doing this. I would like to avoid anything that is cloud based because I have over 200GB in my home folder.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
You say they are at different locations, but don't want to use a network to sync them. Given that constraint, I recommend running each machine from a single, external, boot drive. All of your tools and data will be in one place. Use the internal hard drives as Time Machine backup drives.

Last edited:

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
I have two macs, one at home and one at work. I would like to be able to synchronize the two home folders at least on a daily basis. What are some methods for doing this. I would like to avoid anything that is cloud based because I have over 200GB in my home folder.
If you do not want to do this through a network, you can set up an external drive.
Before you leave work, you can sync to the external drive. Once at home you can sync the external drive with your home computer.
Likewise, before leaving home, sync your home computer to the external and when at work, sync the work computer with the external.
Note that I doing backups may also work, but you may have to be careful not to overwrite newer items.
One advantage of using an external drive is that you will have a current backup of both computers.
I also suggest looking at Chronosync as the software to do this.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the input.

I already use CCC with an external HDD for backs. I guess I can create a task to keep the two locations in sync.
I might consider a cloud option.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
There are tons of tools and options, including iCloud.

The challenge is that when workstations are behind firewalls, and properly protected (nearly every modern network)...they are hard to see. Most tools that are cloud based have an agent of some sort that makes an outbound connection, and removes the issue of IP addresses or DNS or any other machine discovery processes.

That's why nearly all cloud based solutions involve a server and an agent or client...and because if any machine has an intermittent connection, ideally the server as the man-in-the-middle is on, on line, and has the latest version of every file. Better up time, less issues.

There are 4 possible options, here in the general order of easiest to hardest:

1. Use a cloud based sync, like Drop Box, or iCloud, etc.

2. Use an agent that make machine connections, but with out a paid server. Something like Sync Mate (may be as easy as option #1, but have not used it myself)

3. Get a NAS and run your own server. Cost up front, but you own it, with no ongoing license or subscription. Synology has a nice sync tool called Drive that is pretty slick, once you have the NAS setup. They also have a QuickConnect service which makes it easy to sync files with any internet connected devices. Bonus: you can do lots of other stuff with a modern NAS too.

4. You can configure everything manually and run DDNS, and probably port forwarding on the routers at both locations...or you could have a dedicated VPN between both routers. Either way, lots to configure and then maintain, but the cheapest option (if you don't count time and frustration).