Syncing 2 iphones on one Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by clydesdale44, Oct 1, 2010.

1. clydesdale44 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    After many years on a PC my wife and I got smart and switched to Mac. In fact we switched everything to Mac.
    My wife updated her phone on our shared Mac, and all of my backed up apps,pics etc are now on her phone. How do we sync our phones separately so our apps and stuff dont appear on each others iphones?

Thanks!

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you can create separate users accounts so you have separate libraries, but then you won't have access to any of each other's media (unless you place the libraries in a public place).

what's easiest is to just use one library, but use a custom sync on each phone. you guys can pick out whatever apps, photos, music, etc. you want. it may be a pain the first time around, but after that, it's no big deal.

3. clydesdale44 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Mr Kram, but u are talking to an extreme newbie here. Could you explain how to do a custom sync on each phone? Sorry to ask,.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

when you plug in your phone, you will see it in the left sidebar of itunes under "devices". if you click on your device, a screen will appear in itunes giving you a bunch of tabs - info, apps, ringtones, music, etc. select the appropriate tabs for you and select what content you specifically want to sync to your phone. then repeat these steps with your wife.

let me add that it may be easier to set up playlists for your music and movies so you don't have to select songs individually. this would apply to your photos also. create albums or smart albums in iphoto if you're using iphoto or just have one folder with all the photos you want and point itunes to that folder.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You can setup seperate libraries in itunes but maintain the same user account (don't have to log out and log back in). You can then add specific things to each library that is shared without having to have everything in both.

Use method three here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yes, in essence this is another way to have separate libraries. the issue, with shared libraries is that they do not automatically sync with each other.