Syncing 2 iphones to Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by duncanapple, Nov 30, 2010.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hello all -

I am looking for advice on the best way to sync two iphones to pictures out of my Aperture 3 library. In iphoto I used to just make a folder for my wifes iphone and a folder for my iphone, and we would each sync to the respective folder. However in Aperture, it appears if I make a new folder/album/project it will either move the picture files from their main location or copy them to the new location. I dont want doubles on my hard drive (files are huge and HD space is getting tight) of any pictures I want on my phone, but I also dont want to move the original file (ie all the christmas pictures need to stay in the christmas album, wedding in the wedding album, etc)

I think making a "smart album" is going to be the way to go, they dont appear to move the file or copy them, they just sort of reference them. Is that what you guys all do? I was thinking of using color codes, but if the wife and I both wanted to sync the same picture, you cant assign more than one color to a photo. What criteria do you recommend that is easy to select, such that we both can easily select what should go in each of our albums/phones?

Hopefully that makes sense - I am sure I am not the only one out there syncing multiple phones to Aperture 3! I tried to google this but the results were all over the place. Thanks in advance!

2. shuttersp33d macrumors newbie

You don't need to make a Smart Album to do this. You can place images from different projects and the same photo in multiple Albums. If you create the Album at the Library level, it will not be a subset of a particular project although, it will operate the same way if it is a subset of a project.

So yeah, just use Albums. :)