Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
What's the best application or Terminal command to keep two iTunes libraries in sync?

I used to use PSyncX, but I'm beginning to find songs that didn't get transferred from my MacBook Pro to my iMac. I ran it again, but it forgot a few songs again.

I'm sure this topic has come up a few times, but searching wasn't working out too well.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
This is a real pain for me. I have a PMG5 (which I'll refer to as the Master Computer), and then there is the MBP (slave 1), and a windows box (slave 2). I do most of my purchasing adding to the library on the master computer and keep track of the songs I add on paper. I then copy the files over to the slave computers and mostly in sync. If I add songs to either slave, i keep note of it.

If it gets really out of sync, I do a time consuming process where I copy the library from one computer to another and any extra songs will be copied and old duplicate songs kept in tact. Then I copy that back over to the first computer. I then unlink and relink the itunes libraries to the new folders and delete the old. (gigabit Ethernet is great here)

Podcasts are another ball of wax which I can never get quite right, so I mainly just do it on my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.