Syncing a 3G iPod to my 2010 iMac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Dreww, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Dreww macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I recently received a 3G iPod, which works perfectly. I have the power cable for it, and have been able to add songs via my USB cables. However, the iPod is formatted for Windows, and apparently the only way to restore it to factory settings for a Mac is via a FireWire cable.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of finding one online; I want to make sure I don't accidentally just buy another power cable, and have been having trouble navigating amazon and ebay. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Otherwise, if anyone knows of a way to reformat the device without a firewire cable, that would also be great!

2. Dreww, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

Dreww thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to add, I realized that the issue here is my iMac has an 800 Firewire Port, where as the cords I've seen are 400. I've seen at least one 800 Firewire cable for ipods online, however the reviews don't inspire any confidence. They're all saying their iMacs won't recognize the cable for data, and instead work only as chargers.

I have no idea how I'm going to sync this thing!

Ah, I think I may have found my solution:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW748LL/A?afid=p210|frgl&cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Moshi is an excellent company. I'm currently using their HDMI adapter to hook my Mac to my TV. Very good build quality. HERE is the item on Amazon; save a few bucks ;)

4. Dreww thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the amazon link! I already received mine from apple, and am very pleased with it. Not only could I finally restore the ipod to its original settings, but the moshi cable lets me charge it, too! highly recommended to anyone in a similar situation.