Syncing A Library Between a PC Desktop and a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jf20spiker, May 22, 2008.

1. jf20spiker macrumors newbie

Is there any way I can sync my desktop computer's (running XP) Itunes library to my Macbook Pro's Itunes Library? My desktop is being used as the server for all our media. I can easily access the files and open with no problems. What I'm looking for is when I add files to my library on the desktop, my library will automatically update on the laptop so I don't have to keep track of it manually.

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I'm trying to do almost the same thing. In my case I've got an XP machine, a vista media center and 2 Mac minis that I want to use the same itunes library. The library will reside on a 750 GB drive on the XP machine.

I've shared the drive, but when I switch itunes (holding shift while launching) to that library it brings up the library but every song ends up with an "!". I can manually fix by pointing the the right file location. However, there is no way Iwant to do that over 6000 times.

3. phairphan macrumors 6502

phairphan

I haven't seen anyone here come up with a way to do this automatically. In case you don't know, in iTunes you can can add the top-level folder that contains your music and it will scan through the contents and add only the new songs, so you do not need to add individually the new albums you've loaded onto your PC nor do you need to keep track of what has changed since the last time you "synced" your MBP.

4. jf20spiker thread starter macrumors newbie

So far so good

I actually didn't realize that if I just pointed to the top folder it would only add what was not there. I suppose I can do that once in a while to keep things up to date.

Thanks for the help