Syncing a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deckard666, Jul 2, 2013.

1. deckard666 macrumors regular

deckard666

I use Ableton on my desktop machine (its a professional music creation program) and have just got a 3 year old MacBook Pro - How can I keep these exactly in sync so when i head to the studio the MBP has the same files, projects etc as I will be doing all my music on the desktop ? I was thinking of just carbon copying my hard drive on the desktop and then using a G-tech 1tb firewire drive drive to boot the MBP as I have loads of plugins which be a pain to keep updated across both - This should work ? I have emailed Ableton to see what they think is the easiest way.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I use Dropbox to sync all my data between my machines, so that will sync your data, no problem. As for the plugins, unless the app you use has some kind of user profile I can't see how that can be synced.

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

I use Chronosync to keep a MBP and a mini in sync. My goal is to have a backup computer in case something happens to the MBP (my main). I basically sync my documents. I could also sync mail but this may be trickier. Most of my data flow is from the MBP to the mini, but I also had situations going the other way around.
    The program is fairly straightforward to use and can be configured to do it automatically.