Syncing a new Verizon iPhone 4 at the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JackalLantern, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JackalLantern macrumors newbie

My new Verizon iPhone 4 came with a broken silent switch, so I've scheduled a trip to the Apple Store, where they'll probably replace it. Trouble is, I'll be going on a road trip directly after getting my new phone (the Apple Store is on the way). Should I pack my MacBook Pro so I can sync the new iPhone? I'd rather not have to bring it along... but would I be able to activate and sync my new iPhone 4 (retaining all my apps and files) on a MacBook Pro at the Apple Store?

Thanks in advance.

2. patp Guest

if your macbook pro is your main itunes/synching computer, then yes bring it.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

IIRC, your MBP will need to be connected to the internet for activation.

4. lanulos macrumors regular

Apple stores usually have open WiFi so it shouldn't be a problem to activate there. Besides, can't you activate a Verizon phone by dialing *228 and choosing option 1?

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

He needs to sync it so he can restore his backup.

6. lanulos macrumors regular

OK, so he wants to sync his defective-switch phone onto a store computer in the Apple store, then get his replacement phone, then re-sync his stuff back onto the new phone from the store computer? It would be interesting to see how the store employees would react to that. He would be much better off taking his laptop. With his own laptop he shouldn't really need to do any of it in the store except actually getting the replacement phone.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is exactly what he is gonna do. I was replying to someone that ask why he needs his laptop. He is going on a trip and wont be able to go back home, after he picks up his replacement, hence the question about the laptop.
    Sheesh...I wish everyone would just read the thread before replying.

8. patp Guest

the OP is leaving for a business trip right after he visits the Apple store. In his situation when he gets the replacement phone, he will have to synch it with his back up. if he brings his own laptop he can synch the new phone and be ready to roll.

unless if the genius bar guys can transfer the contents from the first phone to the new one.