Syncing a non-apple mp3 player with iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by artemisfowl, Jun 5, 2008.

1. artemisfowl macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a Microsoft Zune 30gb mp3 player and I recently purchased a Macbook for school. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it seems that the Zune software is not compatible with OS X. Is there any solution for accessing my music, adding new files and whatnot/syncing my Zune with my Macbook?

Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ah NO! haha sorry. the Zune syncs with Media Player in Windows and is a competitor to the iPod (if you can put it like that).

3. artemisfowl thread starter macrumors newbie

On my windows desktop, I had to install Zune software from a CD, which seemed much different than WMP. I figured since you can put iTunes on a windows computer, why shouldn't I be able to somehow access my Zune from the Macbook?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ah ok ive never used Zune software or let alone seen a Zune :eek:. but the system requirements released by Microsoft is a computer running Windows.

well iTunes was made available for Windows to increase the iPod market share as 90% of the world uses Windows. on the flip-side i dont think it was on Microsoft's mind to make Zune software available for Macs.

the most compatible mp3 player for OS X right now is the iPod (obviously). maybe you should of had this in mind before you bought your MacBook.

however you may be in luck, i just did a quick Google search and found this. however it will only allow rudimentary support for the Zune.

you can also also use Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion to boot Windows on your Mac. more info on that here.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Does it show up as a drive in Finder? Can you drag your songs over that way?

I know that iTunes came out well before the first iPod and could synch with several different MP3 players, but I don't know whether that support is still present in the newer versions.

6. artemisfowl thread starter macrumors newbie

Blah,

Well thanks for the help, maybe some genius will figure out how to sync it, but until then, I guess I'll settle for little to no actual functionality with my Zune.

7. vandlism macrumors 6502

so yeah. the zune. we meet again. the best, easiest, only way to get that zune working on your mac is if you use windows through boot camp, parallels, or vmware fusion. in other words, you can use the zune with your macbook but only through windows. i had a zune for a grand total of two days. i suggest the route of using vmware fusion to run the zune software. my second suggestion is to get an ipod touch, seriously.