Syncing a single iTunes (all content) library between two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigbaby, Jul 3, 2010.

1. bigbaby macrumors newbie

bigbaby

Hi
    Please help! I've seared the forums and found bits of my problem solved but not all (if that makes any sense!)

I have a MBP and a MacMini. I wish to have my iTunes library stored on an external HD (which I will share on the network) connected to the MacMini.

I would like to see this same library on my MBP (presumably just point the iTunes on the MBP to the networked external HD for the iTunes folder??).

But now I wish to ensure that any changes made on one machine (additions, artwork update, playlists etc) are synced and show up on the other, and vice versa. This should be applicable to both content purchases on iTunes and my own content ripped from my CD collection.

Any help or pointers as to the best way of doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. ohanian macrumors newbie

Read this url
    http://theappleblog.com/2009/09/11/itunes-9-at-home-with-home-sharing/

Put all your stuff in itunes on one mac machine (central machine).

On the other machine(s), use home sharing and import “Items not in my library.”

Now both mac machines have the same stuff in their library.

From now on, only buy stuff from itunes using the one mac machine (central machine). After buying it, import it to the other mac using home sharing.

3. bigbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

bigbaby

Thanks for the tip. However this will not work for non-iTunes purchased media, so I'm led to believe?

4. ohanian macrumors newbie

This will work for all items in your itunes library. Whether you make it up using garageband or import from mp3 or buy it from itunes store.

5. bigbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

bigbaby

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying. :)