Syncing a Used iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chocolatemilty, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

So, after having my iPhone 3G break on me while abroad, I'm getting a used iPhone 3G from a friend in a few weeks (great deal on it for $50 in perfect condition. I KNOW, I have great friends). Anyways, my previous 3G was jailbroken on iOS 4.0 with multitasking and wallpaper enabled, with all my jailbroken apps backed up in iTunes. The 3G I will be getting isn't jailbroken and will come with my friend's stuff on it I'm sure.

I'd like to know if anyone's had any experience with getting used iPhones and how they went about getting their stuff onto the device. Does iTunes automatically backs up the stuff that'll be on the iPhone or will iTunes prompt me to restore, recognizing the iPhone has never synced to my computer?

Is it better to ask my friend to wipe their iPhone? Anyone know how that works?

Also, will iTunes just wipe the iPhone and set it up as if it were my old iPhone with the settings and data I had backed up last? I know I'll have to jailbreak it and such to get multitasking and wallpapers back in addition to APTbackup to get my jailbroken settings back, I just wanted to know if iTunes knows how to get this iPhone to be MY iPhone.

I'm sorry for the noobish questions. I'm well seasoned in many things iPhone, but never had to do this so I'm devoid of information for myself. Thanks for all of the future input, everyone! :D

2. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

When you sync, you have checkboxes for music/apps/pictures/etc. If you just want to sync music and keep your friend's apps (per example) just check music and the apps will remain intact. When you sync apps, it will delete the ones on the phone and replace them with yours.

3. Krishna21 macrumors member

I'm sorry if this is of no help; I actually don't understand your problem quite well.

I'm assuming you want to restore the phone from a backup you made and then transfer your old phones apps, music, and videos.

To do this;

Start by restoring the iPhone to 4.0.1, 4.0.0, OR 3.1.3.
    NOT 4.0.2!

Then restore from the backup you made.

After restoring, sign into your App Store account.
    Then the applications tab should show up.

Make sure all music/videos/apps are check marked.

With the iPhone plugged in, sync away.

You should be good.

OR if I'm COMPLETELY OFF tell me :p.

And btw. My friend is awesomer, he gave me his 3GS for free. Lol.

4. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

DAMN! I guess I lose out on the awesomeness with a free 3GS. Maybe I luck up with another friend with a 3GS.

That's pretty much what I was asking about, you were right. Thank you.

One last question: I'm hearing reports that iOS 4.1 may be jailbreakable on a 3G using redsn0w b5-5. Of course this won't be able to be confirmed until it's released to the public. Since the iPhone 3G I will be getting is already upgraded to 4.0, i'm sure the performance issues will be apparent. I would like to try out 4.1 to see if the issues are fixed then jailbreak if possible.

My question is: how exactly do I downgrade in the event I need to come back down to 3.1.3 or 4.0 until 4.1 is jailbroken if the iPhone gets upgraded to 4.1 during the initial sync or by me? Does iTunes allow this outright by pointing to the IPSW you want to install or do I need to kick it out of recovery with some program?

Sorry for another noobish question, just trying to know all the steps so it can be easy and somewhat fast when I get the device.