Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I have no contacts in my address book on my computer. I have lots on my phone. I wanted to add the ones from my phone to my computer. I currently do not have the sync option for contacts checked on my phone. Now, if I click sync will it transfer the contacts to my computer or sync them together bt erasing my phone?

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
I can't say for sure about the iPhone, but when I tried to sync my RAZR over Bluetooth a few weeks ago, it wiped my phone out completely. Make a backup of your phone contacts if you can!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think you should receive a pop-up warning that occurs whenever a large number of contacts are being created or deleted on a device or your Mac. The options should either be to stop the sync or to add all the phone contacts to the Mac.

I think the only time you get wiped out is when you have contacts on both.

EDIT: iSync has this preference....

isync_preferences-20070821-204452.jpg

I'm not sure if that preference in iSync applies to iTunes (like changing a setting in Image Capture applies to iPhoto) or if this is automatically enabled on iTunes. If this had been checked, it would have prevented the RAZR mishap.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
EDIT: iSync has this preference....

If this had been checked, it would have prevented the RAZR mishap.

I did have it checked and got the warning, however I proceeded because I had approximately 10 contacts on my computer and well over 100 on my phone. I thought that when it said data will be changed it meant that it would be adding data from the phone to my Address Book. It could be because I have Verizon, and they cripple their phones, but who knows...:confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I did have it checked and got the warning, however I proceeded because I had approximately 10 contacts on my computer and well over 100 on my phone. I thought that when it said data will be changed it meant that it would be adding data from the phone to my Address Book. It could be because I have Verizon, and they cripple their phones, but who knows...:confused:

That's odd... see, before I got a Mac, I had T-Mobile (still do) and a Nokia 3650. I had all my contacts in Outlook on a work Thinkpad, and I used Nokia PC Suite (IR, no BT on that TP). When I got my Mac, I'm almost certain that I transferred all the Outlook contacts to the Mac by way of the Nokia. But then at that time Address Book was either empty or very close to it (maybe just a "me" card or the Apple one that they put in by default). I'm pretty sure this worked. Although it was Panther, a relatively smarter phone than a RAZR (not saying to insult, in between the Nokia and my current Blackberry, I had / have a V3), and a different service provider.

fj2007cruiser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Long Island NY
In iTunes, under iPhone, I remember you can set the sync method priority thereby making the iphone the master or something like that so that it copies iphone to the computer and not the other way around. Thereafter, you would normally sync so both the computer and the iPhone match. Before you connect make certain that it is set not to sync upon connection since you may not get the opportunity to change the sync option and then ooops. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.