Syncing an existing iPhone with a new computer with no data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daihard, Sep 24, 2011.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Hi.

I would like to sync my wife's iPhone 3GS with a new MacBook Pro that has no previous data (i.e. brand-new hard disk). I realize that it will remove any music she has on the iPhone, and any pictures that are not in the Camera Roll, but how about the applications? Will they be lost as well? If so, I believe she will still be able to re-download them (including the paid ones) and sync them newly, but will she lose the existing data associated with those apps in that case?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dai

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Log into iTMS on the new mac and download all her apps directly from the cloud before syncing. Yes she will lose the data if you do this.

3. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks! Just curious, is there a way to extract existing app data from an iPhone, much like extracting music from one using Senuti? I understand Senuti only recovers music.

Thanks again!

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It's a simple two-step process (and you won't have to re-download each app, either):

1) Authorize her new Mac with her iTunes account. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1420

2) When you plug in her iPhone, just transfer her purchases. It should move all of her apps over, including the app data. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1848

Good luck!

5. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks for the tip! I will try that tomorrow. :)