syncing and moving music questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daleycss, Oct 6, 2011.

1. daleycss macrumors regular

OK, so my dad got an ipad 2 for work and its come preloaded with alot of work apps and security measures..... I DO NOT WANT TO MESS THIS UP. He has his own Apple ID for work and set up his ipad on his work laptop with all the stuff he has (contacts, etc... NO music though). He wants to use our home iMac (which is connected to another Apple ID) that has our very expansive music library and get the music off of that to his iPad. What is the SAFEST way to get this music onto his iPad from our iMac???? We don't want to move the music to his laptop. WE ALSO DO NOT WANT TO ERASE HIS IPAD AND ALL THE SETTINGS AND APPS SPECIALLY DOWNLOADED FOR HIS WORK. Please help

2. rwwest7 macrumors regular

If you plug it into your iMac it will erase and sync. It will warn you before doing so, but there is absolutely no way (legally via iTunes) to transfer anything at all from a computer to it without erasing it first (assuming it's been "synced" with a work computer)

The only way is from the iPad. Just sign out of one iTunes account, sign in with another. Then go to the iTunes store and redownload what you've purchased. That's what I do with my company owned iPad. Never plug that thing into more than one computer, it does not like it when you do that. Just sign in and out on the device itself.

3. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Read this link from Apple very carefully, and then read this link from a man who does exactly what you want to do.

I just spent the day moving a classroom set of iPads and iPods from one iTunes library to another. Didn't lose anything, but there are some scary warning messages that the links I gave will help you understand. Please let us know how it works out.