Syncing (and not) Movies - Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by brettatredback, Feb 22, 2009.

1. brettatredback macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm a new apple tv user, so sorry if this is simple.

How are people controlling what gets synced to apple tv and what doesn't, partciularly with movies that are big?

I have my movies mainly on an external drive. I believe 'option' + dragging them into itunes on a mac doesn't copy the file in itunes, just references it to the external drive right?

But then, apple tv is most likely going to try to copy that whole movie right?

So, do you suggest simply syncing a few of the latest movies i have dragged into to the library like this or perhaps none at all, and appletv will just have to read it from the external drive? Suggestions welcome thanks. Since the drive of the appletv is limited, i was thinking of telling it to sync the last 10 added and any after that, will have to be read directly from the drive.

Thanks,
    Brett

2. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.48 Safari/525.19)

Just curious. Why do you sync instead of stream?

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.48 Safari/525.19)

Sorry, hit the button too soon.

Personally, I handle the "problem" you're having simply by streaming on demand instead of syncing select files to the AppleTv.