Syncing app iMac & MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Papa Goose, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Papa Goose macrumors newbie

Papa Goose

Hi all,

I run a couple of folders on my iMac that contain word and excel files, I often have to edit these so make sure it's upto date on the iMac and the email it to myself or use a USB stick (if I can remember where it is), do any work when I'm out and about on the MBP, then when I'm home send it to the iMac.... yeah dead old skool I know.

I switched to an app called iSyncronise (http://www.smartapps.co/isynchronize/) which was great for about 6 weeks, until it developed a bug and those files are fubar, right back to the install of the app in time machine. So I'm having to rebuild them which is a real PITA:mad:

Can anyone recommend a stable and reliable syncing app please.

TIA;)

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

DropBox is a great idea for you. And it is free for 2Gb which should be enough. On the other hand, iOS5 will introduce iCloud which will keep your iWork documents in sync. You may want to consider using that when released.

3. radicalcentrist macrumors member

Chronosync

While it's not inexpensive ($40), Chronosync does exactly what you're looking for. You run the program on one of your two computers, run the "agent" on the other, and it syncs them at regular intervals (which you set). You can choose which files and folders you want to sync and even use smartlist-style exclusions.

It's go either direction or bidirectionally and even has an option to "archive" changed files rather than delete them (so if you accidentally update a newer file with an older one, hope is not lost).

I've been using it for about a year and a half and have absolutely no problems.

http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

4. soweber macrumors newbie

syncing imac and mbp

Just use Super flexible file Synchronizer. It works just great and fast.

5. Papa Goose thread starter macrumors newbie

Papa Goose

thanks all!

I had a conversation with a friend who mac guru and he accessed my machines via team viewer and found the problem. The iMac had a time capsule issue and parked the real folders in a different directory:confused: Which when sync'd just created blank folder on the MBP, which iSync recognised as new due to the date, and sync'd with the iMac, copying new blank folders, very basic explination I know. He sorted the time capsule by runing the utility, and then proceeded to put the folders back in the right place... problem solved!

So, not an issue with iSyncronize. No data lost as everything was there (just not where the shortcuts thought it was) and now the folders and shortcuts are all pointing the same way everything is peachy:D