Syncing Apps and Ringtones... YES, I know this has been asked, but help please.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonic 1992, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Sonic 1992 macrumors newbie

Yes, I know this has been asked, but I just set up my wife's iPhone....and she's an app hoarder: hundreds of apps. How can I sill use iTunes for syncing? The version of iTunes that Apple said to use will never be updated. Why?

Apple does not realize that everyone does NOT have decent internet. All we can get is ****** DSL with a whopping unreliable 3.5mbps download speed. I will be dead and buried before this will all download.

Why would they change this, I had no problem with iTunes the way it was... That was the whole point of maintaining backups on my computer.

Can someone please help me understand why this decision was made, and what can I do?

Thank you very much.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yes. I have a large number of apps too. That’s no problem.

Make sure you have a current backup of her current phone.

Make sure the X is updated to 11.1 if her current phone is.

Restore the new iPhone from the backup.

3. Bexx macrumors regular

I'm annoyed that backups don't contain the actual apps and there is no longer a way to get them via iTunes any more either. One app that I have a lot of data stored in is no longer available on the App Store, so the data is no longer accessible.

I did find out how to access previously synced apps stored on my Macbook (from older iTunes versions) but it won't let me copy the one I want to my new phone as apparently it's an older version.

No idea why Apple has taken this functionality away.

4. Jjayf macrumors 6502

I am not so familiar with backups and such, but is it not possible to use iCloud Drive and back up to there, then restore from there?