Syncing apps to new account?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheAppleGeek, Oct 5, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

My Dad currently had some issues with his Vista laptop, and he had to make a new account on the computer. Tonight, I transferred his iTunes music from the old account to the new one. He went to sync it and while he had his music, pictures, etc. one problem arose: how can he get his apps back, if there are none on his iTunes?

2. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

If you're using the same itunes account (sign in), you can download the same purchases again for no charge.

3. Neebee macrumors 6502a

@burgundyyears. There must be a detailed step by step process that outlines how you can transfer your apps from your itunes onto your new device, whether it be a new touch or an iphone. I have heard and experienced loss of apps when synching a new device to itunes using the same account.

Finding and downloading ALL the apps one by one is not a solution since most people don't keep track of ALL the apps they have, especially if they have over a hundred apps. IMO, iTunes should and we should be able to have access to that info too :mad:

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

all the apps SHOULD be in the same place that your movies, music and tv shows are, in the itunes music/media folder. this is unless you didn't let itunes organize your files and then i cannot help.

5. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I know with my iPhone when I got a replacement, it was treated as a brand new device and i thought itunes would transfer all my apps, but it didn't. It didnt transfer anything, no movies, bookmarks, no nothing. I heard the same from a few other people when they got their replacement iPhone. The same issue would be prevalent with the touch as the iphone.

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

what i'm saying is that all the apps should still be on the hard drive. if he/she was able to get all the music back then there should be no issue in re-syncing the apps. did you tell itunes to sync the apps?

7. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Definitely, I had itunes selected to sync. The GREAT thing about itunes (not) is that it automatically decides to synch once you plug in your device.

The hd apps storage is useless to get back your data. I played with it copying/cutting and pasting the apps from the itunes storage location to another area and it doesn't recognize the app is there once it's removed or initially synched (gone).

I could be wrong, but I think itunes may look at synching music differently especially if the music folder is not in the default directory.