Syncing apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pkupman57, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I haven't seen any more recent posts on the subject naming specific apps or tools.

Im looking for an app, that will sync folders on my mac, to an external drive. Similar to what the Briefcase did in windows. Right now Im using time machine to backup my entire system, but Im used to old way too, and I like to keep copy of my pictures/music/documents on an external drive. The external is usually off and just sitting, until I fire it up every once in a while to backup my stuff. This takes quite a while however, and I always have to tell Finder to keep or replace files.
    I don't want to make a clone of the entire drive, onto the external, only specific folders. And I would like this process to be fairly seamless in the background. So I can just plug in my external, open an app, and it will automatically transfer only the newest/modified files to the external. Instead of having to re-copy existing files also.
    Ive tried searching and google, but nothing that was mentioned for this, was mentioned in the last few years.. so Im looking for more current info.
    Thanks.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Won't time machine do all that? Just exclude folders you don't want backed up.
    Or you can use carbon copy cloner and tell it what to copy.

3. Pkupman57 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have Time machine backing up the entire systems.. but basically, Im looking for a way to have a few files (mostly my music files) synced between both my MBP and my G5 system, automatically.

CCC could work, but Im curious if anyone has any $free.99 apps first.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer