Syncing Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TomFlaherty, Jan 12, 2009.

1. TomFlaherty macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having trouble syncing some free apps I have recently downloaded from the iTunes store. This is the first time I have downloaded apps, so maybe I just don't know how to do it, but I can sync everything else I have, from songs to audiobooks, to photos to contacts, so I don't understand why I can't sync my apps. They appear in my iTunes, but don't sync over to my iPod touch. I don't see any option in iTunes to sync any apps.

I have the first generation of iPod Touch, 8 GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. TomFlaherty thread starter macrumors newbie

Jeff, thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I don't get the applications toggle on my iTunes like you do. The screen I get is virtually the same as the one that you have put up, but without the applications toggle at the top. Instead it ends with "Info"

Can you or anyone else let me know what to do? I'm pretty sure my software is up to date.

Thanks,

Tom

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

5. TomFlaherty thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked for updates and it tells me that the version 8.0.2 is the current version, so I assume that is what I have, right?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Something just popped into my head. Are you updated to 2.2 on your ipod touch, or at least 2.0? Apps can't be installed on anything before 2.0. You can upgrade to 2.0 in the apps store.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you update your iPod Touch firmware to 2.2 (the latest version)? Check in the "summary" tab, near the top, where it says things like Name, Capacity, Software, Serial No. The Software needs to be 2.0 or above.

8. TomFlaherty thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh, I think you guys just both hit the nail on the head. My software version is 1.1.5. You guys are right. Bit of a pain that I have to pay $ 10. Not going to break the bank, but it is still quite a bit just for a software update. I don't suppose there is any way of getting it free is there?

Either way, thank you both for being very helpful and solving my problem.

Best,

Tom

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

No problem. :D There are ways to get it for free, and they are super easy but that is *illegal* and it can't be discussed on these forums. Feel free to email/im me if you have any other questions about the jailbreak. :)

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Um jailbreak? You don't need to jailbreak to get 2.2 for free. I know I didn't! :D
    But despite having gotten it for free myself (it was an accident, really! :p), I think it's well worth the $10, because there are so many great free apps in the app store, so the $10 quickly "pays" for itself.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I guess you don't, but you might as well. I just killed two birds with one stone when I had my ipod touch.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can upgrade from 1.1.5 to 2.2 and jailbreak in one step? Hmmm. I used quickpwn to jailbreak mine, and I think it already had to have 2.x on it first, then you run quickpwn.

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

If you use pwnage tool, you don't have to update the firmware first. You just create the custom ipsw and then do a dfu + custom ipsw restore.

14. TomFlaherty thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, great. Would really like to email you about this. In fact I just tried emailing you at this address: jmann4489@tmail.com but it didn't work. What is your email address?

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

that is not the email address i use. Click on the email link on my profile and it should give you the right one.

*hint* it's the same thing but at gmail. ;)

16. TomFlaherty thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, are you saying that if I get the free version of 2.2 then I can't download iTunes free apps? Surely I can download the free version and then still exactly the same free apps, right?

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, no, the free version of 2.2 is exactly the same as the paid one. After all, I got 2.0 for free and have been downloading apps, both paid and free, from the app store ever since then. I'm just saying that if you (or someone else who may be following this thread) didn't have access to the free version, and had to pay $10, it'd still be worth it.

Gotcha. Am I right that pwnage tool is only availble for the Mac? I use Windows.

18. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Yes pwnage tool is only for mac.