Syncing AUSampler presets across computers?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Prodo123, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Hi,

I do production on my desktop, and for this particular project I needed a simple but large sampler preset. I went the lazy route and used the Apple sampler, which is more than enough for what I need.

But when I'm on the move, I use my laptop. I need this preset on both computers. I copied the entire Library/Audio folder on both root and user accounts (includes all samples, preset prefs from desktop), but when I open the Logic file the laptop defaults to the sine sampler, even though the preset shows up.

What did I miss or is it just broken?

2. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The problem was very basic!

As I suspected, the .aupreset file saves the location of the samples not with the variable ~/ but rather by its actual path. So if I save a preset on Foo, it saves to /Users/Foo/whatever, and when I sync it to Bar, the .aupreset file still has /Users/Foo/whatever, which does not exist on Bar. .aupreset files also do not work with the ~/ variable.

The solution is to modify the .aupreset file every time you sync it so that the path references are correct. This is easy if you know your sync destinations will be constant, and a simple bash script that changes /Users/Foo to /Users/Bar should do.