Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
I need some clarification...it seems that you have the option to backup to BOTH iCloud and iTunes WiFi now...sooo...

1. What's the difference?
- My iTunes backups are notoriously huge...surely all of that won't be backed up to iCloud?

2. So what's missing in the iCloud backup?
- Does it backup video taken or just photos since Photo Stream seems to skip videos?
- Are save games backed up if they support the cloud (ie: Scribblenauts)?
- If I have to restore from an iCloud backup as opposed to an iTunes backup, what would I be missing?

3. Assuming that iTunes backs up more that iCloud...should we still be wirelessly backing up to iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Haha.

All I can say is that if you want to do a backup to iCloud for the first time you better have a upload speed on steroids.

As far as i know. Everything that you normally back up to iTunes will back up in the cloud.

Putting music on will still require iTunes.

p.s don't quote me on that.

p.p.s You're thread made me chuckle, thanks.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Haha.

All I can say is that if you want to do a backup to iCloud for the first time you better have a upload speed on steroids.

As far as i know. Everything that you normally back up to iTunes will back up in the cloud.

Putting music on will still require iTunes.

p.s don't quote me on that.

p.p.s You're thread made me chuckle, thanks.

Well if everything that is backed up to iTunes is backed up to the Cloud...then we're all going to need to pony up for the 100Gb option...especially if you have more than one device.

OutsideTheCube

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
As far as I know, all your apps are stored in the iCloud for free, but the settings/game saves/downloads within the app are saved outside the app itself and counts toward your 5 GB limit. All your mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, bookmarks, notes, and documents are all stored in the iCloud without taking up any of the 5 GB limit.

And soon, iTunes music will also be stored in the iCloud, and any music not in iTunes will count toward your 5 GB limit.

Summarizing, only app settings, photos not in the stream, and music not available in iTunes counts toward the 5 free GB. For me, I have lots of photos and recorded video (over 8 GB) so I'd need to upgrade to more than 5 free GB (have free 20 GB from mobile me though).

Either you can pay however much a year to Apple to store all that in the cloud, or store it on your computer's hard drive for free (well, the one time cost of buying it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.