Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
Hello,

I have been a day 1 user of iphones, but i just got my first Macbook pro! I will say it is one great machine. Anyway, I have been a Chrome user but may want to give Safari a try. I was curious, can you sync bookmarks using Safari without jumping through a bunch of hoops? Chrome syncs them very easily.

Thanks!

Anathallo

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
You sure can, but it's not AS easy as Chrome will be for you; at least, not for now. If you have a MobileMe account (which I doubt, considering you'd only have used it for the iPhone to this point), then it comes with bookmark syncing over all your iDevices. MobileMe is a paid service, and is shutting down soon to make way for iCloud, a free service Apple will be rolling out.

Holdover services available from MobileMe are detailed in full here:
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

I'm not entirely certain if you're asking for bookmark sync primarily for the Mac (between Macs) or if you mean between the Mac and iPhone, but I'll go into options for that.

As I'm sure you don't want to wait the entire time until iCloud is available, there's a service called xmarks you could use that syncs your bookmarks to a cloud server that you access through your own username/password combination. xmarks works across Safari and Chrome as well, so if you ever have a change of heart or if you can't decide, your bookmarks will always be up to date. You're able to view the bookmarks on your iPhone as well using their mobile service, but that's a paid service ($12 a year).

I definitely don't know everything about potential methods of syncing between a Mac and an iPhone, as I don't have an iPhone, but I'm sure someone else might have a better free workaround (at least until iCloud this fall, if you're willing to wait haha).

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
Thanks and I don't have MM and am really excited to see iCloud! I was just wanting to try and switch to Safari as my main browser, but I guess I can wait until iCould comes out...no reason to pay $12 now when I can wait a few months and not pay anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.