Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Before I installed Snow Leopard, I thought it would be good to sync all of my Safari bookmarks to my iPhone just in case. I merged my bookmarks, so it kept my bookmarks on my iPhone.

However, after I installed Snow Leopard, I wanted my Safari bookmarks off of my iPhone. I went into Mobileme and unchecked bookmarks. I then hit sync now, but all of the bookmarks are still on there. I can delete some, but I am unable to delete the bookmarks bar and bookmarks menu (they have the bookmarks from my computer).

I also noticed that all of my bookmarks that are on my iPhone are not also on my computer.

How do I go back to how it was?

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
I also notice that if I delete the ones that are on my computer, they delete and sometimes come back on my iPhone. However, they do not delete on Safari.

Also, if I am editing the bookmarks on my iPhone, I get a message saying that bookmarks are being synced and to try what I am doing when the syncing is finished.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I also notice that if I delete the ones that are on my computer, they delete and sometimes come back on my iPhone. However, they do not delete on Safari.

Also, if I am editing the bookmarks on my iPhone, I get a message saying that bookmarks are being synced and to try what I am doing when the syncing is finished.
Try turning sync "off" on the iphone then re-booting the phone, then turning sync back on - on the phone. Not a bad idea to reboot your Mac as well...

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
There have been several threads on this, but I can't find them right now sorry :( But I think the consensus is, you can't really get rid of that bookmark bar and menu easily after it's on there. I was able to get rid of mine but it was complicated- I ended up deleting all of my bookmarks on my work computer (internet explorer) and then syncing with it. It erased all of my bookmarks, but the bookmark bar and menu were gone.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I tried looking before I posted as well, but I had no such luck! :)

Oh I know, I wasn't criticizing, just mentioning that I couldn't find them either :) There weren't any "stand out words" in the threads that would make them easy to search for, I think that's the problem. But I'm almost positive that there wasn't ever a solution for it :( Hopefully it's something that Apple fixes eventually.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Okay, I think I got it!

I just thought about what Macsterguy said. I went to settings on my iPhone and I saw that under my MobileMe address, bookmarks were still on. I turned it off, and it asked me if I wanted to delete or keep the bookmarks on my iPhone. I chose to delete and even though all of my bookmarks are gone off of my iPhone, the bookmarks bar and menu are not there as well.

I think that it is stupid that I have to turn it off in two places. I just hope that the bookmarks on my computer are safe!

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Okay, I think I got it!

I just thought about what Macsterguy said. I went to settings on my iPhone and I saw that under my MobileMe address, bookmarks were still on. I turned it off, and it asked me if I wanted to delete or keep the bookmarks on my iPhone. I chose to delete and even though all of my bookmarks are gone off of my iPhone, the bookmarks bar and menu are not there as well.

I think that it is stupid that I have to turn it off in two places. I just hope that the bookmarks on my computer are safe!

Backup your bookmarks in safari (on your Mac) by opening safari, then in the menu bar choose file / export bookmarks and save them to your desktop!!!

Then try working with your bookmarks on the iPhone... In other words, backup, backup, backup :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.