iPod touch Syncing calendar & contacts on other computer?

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I sync my iPod touch with the iTunes installed on my home computer, but I don't use the calendar feature at home. I use Outlook at work and was wondering if I could use the iTunes installed on my work PC to sync my calendar and contacts, whilst still using my home computer for syncing music, videos etc?

tefleming

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
ATL
I was in a similar boat. I configured Entourage to access my work calendar, enabled copying from Entourage to iCal and it works perfectly.

If you're on a PC, do you have / can you configure Outlook on your home PC?

Comment

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I was in a similar boat. I configured Entourage to access my work calendar, enabled copying from Entourage to iCal and it works perfectly.

If you're on a PC, do you have / can you configure Outlook on your home PC?
No unfortunately not, I only have access to my Outlook calendar on my work PC.

So syncing one iPod with two different iTunes is not possible?

Comment

m242

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
I sync my iPod touch with the iTunes installed on my home computer, but I don't use the calendar feature at home. I use Outlook at work and was wondering if I could use the iTunes installed on my work PC to sync my calendar and contacts, whilst still using my home computer for syncing music, videos etc?
It can be done, using .mac (dotmac). I have the same set up as you. My touch syncs with my macbook pro at home via iTunes. At work I plug my touch into my imac, but have diabled syncing via iTunes. When I do a .mac sync, my calendar on my work computer syncs with both my home computer and my touch. Sweet!

Comment

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
It can be done, using .mac (dotmac). I have the same set up as you. My touch syncs with my macbook pro at home via iTunes. At work I plug my touch into my imac, but have diabled syncing via iTunes. When I do a .mac sync, my calendar on my work computer syncs with both my home computer and my touch. Sweet!
I'm on Windows though :(

Comment

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I have just found out that this can in fact be easily achieved. Just sync music with iTunes at home and sync calendar and contacts with iTunes in work. Simple.

Comment

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I have just found out that this can in fact be easily achieved. Just sync music with iTunes at home and sync calendar and contacts with iTunes in work. Simple.

Agree, it's very simple. I have my Music synced to my PC, but my Contacts, Photos, Calendar synced with my Macbook.

Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Agree, it's very simple. I have my Music synced to my PC, but my Contacts, Photos, Calendar synced with my Macbook.
I have no idea, but is it possible to sync the different categories with different computers? For instance ...

Music/Video - work PC
Photos - home Macbook
Calendar - work PC
Contacts - home Macbook

I guess I'm asking is if each category has it's own "sync location".

Frank

Comment

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I have no idea, but is it possible to sync the different categories with different computers? For instance ...

Music/Video - work PC
Photos - home Macbook
Calendar - work PC
Contacts - home Macbook

I guess I'm asking is if each category has it's own "sync location".

Frank
Yes, each category does have it's own sync location. When you plug your Touch into your PC/Mac, there will be different Tabs for each item. Whatever item you want synced with that particular computer, put a check mark in the sync box. For example, on my PC, I have the Sync Music box checked in the Music Tab of Itunes. When I connect my Touch, it automatically syncs the music, but doesn't do anything else. On my Macbook, I have the Sync Photos, in the Photos Tab checked. When I connect the Touch there, it syncs only my photos. When I want anything else synced (Contacts, Calendar) I just do it manually on my macbook. One note though, if you have different Itunes accounts on each computer (eg, My account is on PC, my wifes account is on the Macbook), when you use the Itunes Store on your Touch, the default account will be the one which was used when you last synced. So be careful if letting friends sync with something from your computer.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.