Syncing calendar & contacts on other computer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blueharvester, Nov 7, 2007.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

I sync my iPod touch with the iTunes installed on my home computer, but I don't use the calendar feature at home. I use Outlook at work and was wondering if I could use the iTunes installed on my work PC to sync my calendar and contacts, whilst still using my home computer for syncing music, videos etc?

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

I was in a similar boat. I configured Entourage to access my work calendar, enabled copying from Entourage to iCal and it works perfectly.

If you're on a PC, do you have / can you configure Outlook on your home PC?

3. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

No unfortunately not, I only have access to my Outlook calendar on my work PC.

So syncing one iPod with two different iTunes is not possible?

4. m242 macrumors newbie

It can be done, using .mac (dotmac). I have the same set up as you. My touch syncs with my macbook pro at home via iTunes. At work I plug my touch into my imac, but have diabled syncing via iTunes. When I do a .mac sync, my calendar on my work computer syncs with both my home computer and my touch. Sweet!

5. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on Windows though :(

6. m242 macrumors newbie

Ha! You get what you deserve then... ;)

7. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I know :(

My next computer is def going to be a mac.

8. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I have just found out that this can in fact be easily achieved. Just sync music with iTunes at home and sync calendar and contacts with iTunes in work. Simple.

9. cakbar macrumors regular

Agree, it's very simple. I have my Music synced to my PC, but my Contacts, Photos, Calendar synced with my Macbook.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I have no idea, but is it possible to sync the different categories with different computers? For instance ...

Music/Video - work PC
    Photos - home Macbook
    Calendar - work PC
    Contacts - home Macbook

I guess I'm asking is if each category has it's own "sync location".

Frank

11. cakbar macrumors regular

Yes, each category does have it's own sync location. When you plug your Touch into your PC/Mac, there will be different Tabs for each item. Whatever item you want synced with that particular computer, put a check mark in the sync box. For example, on my PC, I have the Sync Music box checked in the Music Tab of Itunes. When I connect my Touch, it automatically syncs the music, but doesn't do anything else. On my Macbook, I have the Sync Photos, in the Photos Tab checked. When I connect the Touch there, it syncs only my photos. When I want anything else synced (Contacts, Calendar) I just do it manually on my macbook. One note though, if you have different Itunes accounts on each computer (eg, My account is on PC, my wifes account is on the Macbook), when you use the Itunes Store on your Touch, the default account will be the one which was used when you last synced. So be careful if letting friends sync with something from your computer.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok