Syncing Computers, Hard Drives...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chulo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Chulo macrumors member

Wondering if there are any good programs to sync documents between my MacBookPro and G5, without having to use something like .Mac Documents folder. I tried Sync2Folders but that simply didnt work for me. Something that updates 2 folders to the most updated file for example.

For the hard drives, I'm using a RAID and I have a backup external HD. I use the RAID as the work drive when using Final Cut Pro for example, for capturing and keeping FCP files. Is there a way for the backp drive to sync or update itself as I move along and add clips to the RAID?

Thanks a lot for any help.

2. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Dropbox

Right now, it's a small interface, probably not sufficient for your needs, but it may eventually become helpful. I use it for my Firefox preferences and a few pictures, right now.

You may want to use a Time Capsule for your needs. Pop an Airport Extreme card in your G5 if you haven't already, and have the drive back up to the Time Capsule so you can access it from both computers. Or, you can get Airport Base Station and hookup the external drive to that.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

"rsync" does this. It ships as part of Mac OS X.

rsync will copy only those files that have changes from one folder to another. Those folders can be on the same or on different computers or on networked drives.

It is a command line program that you run from the terminal. Many people can't type in terminals so there are any number of graphical shells that let you run the rsync progam without typing. "rsyncx" is one of these. Google will find it for you.

If you want to run rsync you can read about it in the rsync man page. Type "man rsync".