Syncing contacts help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Best WesTurn, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Best WesTurn macrumors newbie

I use address book on my mac just as a backup for my contacts. I want to be able to add contacts in my iPhone and then when i hook it up hit sync and it will take the contacts on my phone and put them in address book. How do i do this? because now when i sync it it will also pull all the old contacts from my address book that i have since deleted my iPhone that i dont need anymore. Any help? thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Use mobile me like I do much easier than messing around.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In your address book, create two groups: Old and Current.

In Current, put all the contacts that you want on the iPhone, put everything else in Old.

Now, in iTunes, tell the phone to sync contacts with the Current group.

4. Best WesTurn thread starter macrumors newbie

even if i am starting with a clean slate, at the moment i have no contacts in my address book. zero. Last time that happened and i synced it wiped all my contacts.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

So, you have all your contacts on your iPhone and no contacts in your address book?

Edit: The trick is, you need at least one contact in your address book. So, create a fake contact in your address book, then sync your iphone. iTunes will then ask you want to do - tell it to Merge your contacts on your iPhone and Address Book. Now, all your iPhone contacts will be in your address book. You can then delete the fake contact you created.

6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

The way I did it was i made 1 contact (my iPhones number) in address book, i then tried to sync it through itunes and it asked me if it wanted me to replace or merge, i pressed merge and they all showed up on address book an iPhone, i apologise already if this doesnt work for you and you loose everything :( another idea is using mobile me, backup yohr contacts to mobileme and then download the .gpp file and open it in adress book, pm me if you need a more indepth guide