Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingGraceTx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
San Antonio Texas
I'm getting my first iPhone on Friday and I'm sure I'll be full of stupid questions for y'all, so I want to just apologize in advance and ask y'all to show me a little mercy over the next few weeks as I learn my way around.
Im going from android to iOS, and I'm pretty sure tmobile won't be able to contacts. So I went ahead and sent my contacts to gmail and will attempt to synch them to my iPhone. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it work well?
Also, again, patience, please, I have an iPod touch that I've used 6.7 gbs on. If I have roughly the same amount of apps on my iPhone, 16Gbs will be enough?
Also, should I start my phone from scratch or can I do the cloud thing and back from my iPod fifth generation?
Next up, I'll probably be asking about custom ringtones.
Thanks, everyone!:D

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'm getting my first iPhone on Friday and I'm sure I'll be full of stupid questions for y'all, so I want to just apologize in advance and ask y'all to show me a little mercy over the next few weeks as I learn my way around.
Im going from android to iOS, and I'm pretty sure tmobile won't be able to contacts. So I went ahead and sent my contacts to gmail and will attempt to synch them to my iPhone. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it work well?
Also, again, patience, please, I have an iPod touch that I've used 6.7 gbs on. If I have roughly the same amount of apps on my iPhone, 16Gbs will be enough?
Also, should I start my phone from scratch or can I do the cloud thing and back from my iPod fifth generation?
Next up, I'll probably be asking about custom ringtones.
Thanks, everyone!:D
No need for any apologies. We were all iPhone/iOS noobs at some point.;)

As long as you have your contacts synced with Google, you won't have a problem syncing them with your iPhone. Take a look at this page for more info.

Since this is your first iPhone you'll have to set it up new from scratch. You can't restore iPod backup to your iPhone. The only thing you would be able to sync is your contacts if they are set up in Outlook on Windows or Mail.app on a Mac.

As you are setting up your new iPhone it will ask you whether you want to use iCloud to backup to. Just tap yes and you'll be good to go for future iPhones and/or restores (If needed). I personally also like to create one clean full backup to keep on my MacBook Pro. Just in case you need it and don't have a WiFi or LTE connection available.

To create your own custom ringtones you can do it using iTunes. A tutorial on how to do this can be found here.

Good luck with your new iPhone and don't hesitate to ask any questions. The only dumb question, is the one you don't ask;):p

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Since this is your first iPhone you'll have to set it up new from scratch. You can't restore iPod backup to your iPhone.

This is incorrect. You CAN restore an iPod backup to an iPhone. I just did this for my girlfriend. She had an iPod touch and just got an iPhone 5. I restored her iCloud backup to her new phone and everything was exactly as it was on her iPod. So if you already have everything set up the way you want it, the easiest thing to do would be to restore your backup to the phone and you won't have to reconfigure anything.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
This is incorrect. You CAN restore an iPod backup to an iPhone. I just did this for my girlfriend. She had an iPod touch and just got an iPhone 5. I restored her iCloud backup to her new phone and everything was exactly as it was on her iPod. So if you already have everything set up the way you want it, the easiest thing to do would be to restore your backup to the phone and you won't have to reconfigure anything.

Yes you are correct. I don't know but I was thinking of jailbroken vs non jailbroken. OP disregard what I said above regarding restoring. Just had brain freeze :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.