Syncing Contacts with Gmail?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pinter, Aug 21, 2010.

1. pinter macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I am trying to sync my contacts with Gmail and I don't seem to be able to. I do see that Pkgbackup was able somehow to sync with Gmail as if I go to my contacts in gmail I can see PkgBackup however everything I try does not work. I have set it up in itunes to sync with Gmail but nothing shows up when I log into Gmail.

Any help or links would be appreciated

Thanks

2. cobra5mil macrumors member

Why don't you just use Google's Exchange syncing? It has worked perfectly fine for about 7 phones that I have done it on.

1) Set iTunes to sync contacts with Gmail and then sync your iPhone.

2) Check your Gmail to make sure it all transferred.

3) Disable iTunes to sync with Gmail

4) Add Google as an exchange account (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252)

5) ?

6) Profit

3. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if the first step doesn't work how can I continue on to the 2nd step? Anyways I have tried this but it still doesn't work.

Currently I have gmail set up as an exchange server and still no worky. I don't see anything in my gmail account under contacts except PkgBackup as I said in my original post.

I have tried with itunes, without itunes and I am not sure what the issue is. I have even tried with other email address that I created just for syncing purposes but no go.

4. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I see I have several contact groups. One is "All On my Phone" and under my name "Derek" I have "Contacts" All of my contacts are under "All on my iphone" which I originally imported from gmail when I first got the phone and I suspect this is the problem.

Umm Not sure what to do

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Are your contacts located anywhere besides your phone?

6. cobra5mil macrumors member

You need to move all of them in Gmail to "My Contacts."

7. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

I sync my contacts with Windows Contacts until I can figure out the gmail sync and have it working 100% but other then that, I have a email set up for just Syncing contacts and other then my iphone, windows contacts no I don't have the contacts anywhere else.

Is there an easy way to move my contacts from "All from my PC" to "My Contacts" under Derek?

I have goggled and saw no such how-to.

Thanks

8. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump, any help with moving contacts would be awesome!

9. pinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out. Exported windows contacts to cvs file and then uploaded to gmail. Then it synced and I then backed up windows contacts and then deleted all entries and everything was gone from my phone and then gmail synced and all my contacts were under the proper folder.