Syncing email between macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mark88, May 16, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

All my email accounts are POP3 and I download them onto my Macbook into Mail.app.

Got an iMac recently and now want to use both machines to send and recieve email. What exactly is the best way to ensure both machines are sync'd up and have the same email messages, inc sent messages?

2. iCol macrumors newbie

Not sure that is doable with POP3. You might be able to sync inbox, but not sent etc..

If you are able to change your account to IMAP (Some ISPs have both POP3 & IMAP on same account), you will be able to do this quite easily.

Hope this helps

iCol

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Find a provider who offers IMAP (.Mac for example). Fastmail may even have a free IMAP offering or your current provider may have IMAP service. Anyway, with IMAP, your mailbox is always synced, whatever machine you happen to be using.

4. shwc macrumors regular

I use two computers to check my mail--however, I run the (apple) mail program on one computer at a time. I use a synronization program (e.g. Synk) to syncronize the "mail" and "mail downloads" folders of the two computers before I switch computers. Mail and Mail Download folders are located in your home directory's library folder.

Synk: http://www.decimus.net/