Syncing Exchange email account with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thomasp, May 27, 2010.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm running OSX 10.6.3 with iTunes 9.1.1, Mail 4.2 and an iPhone 3G running iOS3.1.3. My work has just upgraded from Communigate IMAP to Microsoft Exchange email systems. I've now set Mail on my Mac up to receive emails from the new Exchange account, and deleted the old Communigate account.

Before the upgrade, this account used to appear in the "Sync Mail Accounts" section of iTunes when my phone was connected, but now it doesn't - the box is just empty. How can I sync this new account with my iPhone?

I've tried Googling, MRoogling and searching the Apple Help, but all have been fruitless. Can anyone help?

2. Spud1 macrumors member

With exchange, you don't need to manually sync by plugging in your iPhone anymore, you sync over-the-air directly with your companys exchange server.

Goto settings, mail, add account and select the exchange option - and then fill in the details of your company exchange server and follow the instructions, should be pretty simple to do :)

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would probably be why then! Thanks for the reply :)

4. heyp macrumors 6502

did you get your exchange account set up on the iphone? I was able to set it up with the OSX Mail app pretty easily, but am having trouble with the iphone Mail app.

Unlike the OSX Mail app, the iphone asks for the server name which I believe is exchange.company.com.

I input my credentials and then get an "unable to verify account information."

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

You will need both the server and domain for your account. My server is not exchange.company.com, its email.company.com. This probably varies for each provider, so best to check with your e-mail administrator.