Syncing files between Mac & Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by karstenjensen, Jan 8, 2013.

1. karstenjensen macrumors newbie

Next monht Windows Live Mesh will stop it's services and I will no longer be able to sync my files on LAN / WAN between my MAC and my Windows PC - and I really need that abilty. Cloud services like iCloud, Dropbox, SkyDrive and Google Drive is NOT an option for me.

I need something where I can mark folders and let them syncronise on the fly bewteen my different computers - but I simply can not find another programf for this purpose - a succeeder for Windows Live Mesh.

Can someone please help.

2. jinxed macrumors newbie

I am also looking for an alternative for Windows Live Mesh. I used it as well to keep things synchronized between my Macbook and Windows desktop PC.

I tried Goodsync, but I ran immediately into some persistant syncing problems. The program didn't seem very intuitive either. Read some good things about Cubby, but that seemed complicated as well (at least the part that you have to turn everything into a cubby.)

Did anyone else tried those two? Are there other alternatives?

3. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not yet tried Cubby but to me it seems like the only alternative to Live Mesh - but to me it is a bit overkill. I don't need all the other features I only want the sync tools and it really don't have to cost the user anything because we don't need the cloud.

And I really can't imagine that there aren't many other people that have the same problem.... :apple:

4. jinxed macrumors newbie

I hope as well someone can chime in. I just need synchronisation over the network (peer to peer sync), not over the Internet or via the cloud.

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Are these computers on the same network, do you need access remotely?

1. Shared Folder on either Mac or Windows over local network would solve it all surely, and if you wanted to make then accessable, then a webserver with links into said folder.

2. Shared folder on Windows, and use rsync on mac to share them back and forth.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Not a cheap solution, but something I have been keeping an eye on is Transporter, from the guy that developed Drobo. Transporter is an online, but off-cloud storage solution for privately sharing, accessing and protecting all of your valuable files.

They got funding from Kickstarter, and due to start shipping at the end of January.

7. jinxed macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yes, the computers are on the same network :) But I just realised that my Macbook is of course connected via WiFi, so I guess I would need an internet connection for syncing...

8. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems I may not be familiar with how Google Drive works - has anyone experinces with this?

And - aren't there some one - besides jinx and me - wh have this problem with two computers? What do other people do?

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I guess most people, myself included use a cloud solution like Dropbox or Google Drive. Other than that

1. Store your files on a USB Drive.

2. Share your folder, and if you are not on the same network as the shared folder use VPN to create a secure link in, to pull files over.

3. eMail the files you need to yourself before you leave the office.

10. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

A Facebook-friend of mine told me about:
    www.goodsync.com - this seems nice but a bit expensive but perhaps the best solution. I'll definately try this.....

11. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

If it's on wifi at home, then it's on the same network, you do not need the internet to do that.

There is plenty of pages to work out how to share folders across a local network.

using a command on the mac like

rsync -avz localmacfolder /Volumes/windowssharedfolder

would sync the two folders mac to windows

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dropbox can sync files directly between computers on your LAN.

Dropbox - What is LAN sync?

13. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Interesting, although I presume that dropbox will still send the file(s) to the Dropbox cloud as well. At least as far as I could tell from the article linked it just speeded up the local sync.

14. jinxed macrumors newbie

I need to sync 6 folders, with a total size of 50/60 GB. So that wouldn't work ;). Dropbox is nice, but pricey. And I would need to change my folderstructure (everything in the Dropbox folder).
    Live Mesh just worked like a charm.

15. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Jinx - have you looked at Cobby and Goodsync? These are the best I could find.....

16. Gavzooka macrumors member

17. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

I must admit I find the price quite high.....

18. jinxed macrumors newbie

Yes, that was in my original message :) At that time Cubby was free, not anymore now. Goodsync works, but has a strange way of checking a file was changed. It doesn't really look inside the file, only at the date. Now I understand why I got those errors, so this one isn't for me either.

Live drive is expensive, but also a cloud solution, and I don't need the cloud.

Still looking around...

19. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Am also looking.... Found https://www.aerofs.com/ but it's a beta sign-up :(

20. tomllama macrumors regular

So that I understand, you are trying to sync files from an NTFS disk on the PC with files on an HFS+ disk on the Mac (and vice versa)?

I do this with chronosync running on the Mac (also running Tuxerta NTFS) and have MacDrive running on the Windows machine. I have a chronosync job spawned every hour to take care of the sync but you could make it happen more frequently if desired. I use this to keep files on my MacBookPro synced to my Windows home server and my MacPro.

21. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - from a PC to a Mac - and vise versa....

What are you using Tuxerta for?
    And why do you need MacDrive installed on Windows? All I want is to sync files :)

22. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I wonder if something like git or subversion would work for you. We use those tools to synchronize and track changes among multiple workstations and developers in the software development world.

23. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not quite sure I have googled the right stuff but from what I have read it is quite difficult to operate.....

24. jinxed macrumors newbie

25. karstenjensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Found this great up to 5 GB alternative: https://www.aerofs.com