Syncing folders question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Callum, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Callum macrumors member

I'm using Dropbox. I want a copy of a folder that's in Documents that will sit in the Dropbox and sync with the original when it's changed. I don't want to drag and drop my original into the Dropbox every time I make changes to it.

Thanks,
    -Callum.

2. Callum thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I spent several hours trying to find a program to do something incredibly basic, but all of them were terrible. What I ended up doing was putting the original folders in a folder named WSXEDCRFV (something random), then put a smart folder in Dropbox with the saved search as WSXEDCRFV.

3. Callum thread starter macrumors member

Spoke too soon............just comes up as a savedsearch file in Dropbox. AAAARRGH!! WHY is this so hard??!

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

might this for you ?

another way would be using a symbolic link. they discuss th@ option in this thread.

5. Callum thread starter macrumors member

The symbolic link worked perfectly! Thank you so much!! :D

6. Big Bad D macrumors regular

Perhaps give SugarSync a try. As well as a "Magic Briefcase" folder for synchronisation (like DropBox) it also allows selection of any user folders to be synchronised across multiple computers. No need to create symbolic links. Over the past year I have tried both DropBox and SugarSync (as well as MobileMe) and have found SugarSync to best meet my needs.