Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Now I am setting up a "Media" Mac Mini computer. It will have all out music and movies. I am combining my wife's and my music library into 1 iTunes and freeing a lot of space from our Macbooks. I will delete all the duplicates and maybe even get iTunes Match someday.
Now IF I don't get iTunes Match, can I sync the iPhones to the 'Media" computer just the music and then pictures and with my Macbook using the settings on what I want to sync in iTunes on the summery page (Macbook only syncs pictures and the Mini syncs the music)?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What other things would you need to sync from your computer?

The 'info' tab can be handled through iCloud or Gmail or whatever. And everything else is media that'll come from the iTunes computer.

There's just apps, but you might as well move all those to the iTunes computer too. No reason you need those taking up space on the Macbooks.

So, assuming all that, is there something else on the Macbook that I'm forgetting? It seems to me you won't NEED to sync with it any more.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
What other things would you need to sync from your computer?

The 'info' tab can be handled through iCloud or Gmail or whatever. And everything else is media that'll come from the iTunes computer.

There's just apps, but you might as well move all those to the iTunes computer too. No reason you need those taking up space on the Macbooks.

So, assuming all that, is there something else on the Macbook that I'm forgetting? It seems to me you won't NEED to sync with it any more.

I can move everything to the Mini, it's just the picture I don't want too and keep them on my Macbook.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I can move everything to the Mini, it's just the picture I don't want too and keep them on my Macbook.

I'm pretty sure you can do what you want...leave 'photo' checked on your Macbook and everything else grayed out. Then do the inverse on the Mini.

That USED to work. I'm not positive if it still does, but give it a shot.

The only drawback is that I think you can only set up wifi-sync with one Mac. So pick the one you'd plug into the least, and then use USB with the other one.

I'd suggest setting up wifi-sync with the Mini and then enabling Photostream (both in AND out) on the Macbook. Then you can still sync with USB on the Macbook for specific photos, but even when you forget to do that you'll have the last 1,000 shots at all times, even photos you took using non-iPhone cameras that got copied into the Macbook.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'm pretty sure you can do what you want...leave 'photo' checked on your Macbook and everything else grayed out. Then do the inverse on the Mini.

That USED to work. I'm not positive if it still does, but give it a shot.

The only drawback is that I think you can only set up wifi-sync with one Mac. So pick the one you'd plug into the least, and then use USB with the other one.

I'd suggest setting up wifi-sync with the Mini and then enabling Photostream (both in AND out) on the Macbook. Then you can still sync with USB on the Macbook for specific photos, but even when you forget to do that you'll have the last 1,000 shots at all times, even photos you took using non-iPhone cameras that got copied into the Macbook.

Thanks!! I'll give it a try. I am going to start setting this up in the next few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.