Syncing Gmail Contacts with iphone 4s issue.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mrfatboy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

I am currently using itunes to sync my iphone 4s with my gmail contacts. The problem is that once the sync is done all my contacts with email addresses have them labeled as "other" instead of home, work, etc on the iphone 4s. This is a big problem for Siri.

How can I get my email contacts labeled correctly? Or is this a itunes bug.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's a problem with using gmail and the iPhone, Siri. Gmail doesn't support the proper fields to have all the correct labels.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Similar problem with outlook sync, only some of the fields match up like home or mobile. Anything else gets hosed.

4. Mrfatboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I also tried syncing from my yahoo account. Everything is labled "work". It' definitely Apple's problem.

It's unbelievable to me that Apple doesn't have this working perfectly after so long. It's almost been 5 years since the first iphone :eek:

What happened to the motto "it just works" :D

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

More accurately the problem lies to wherever you are moving TO. If a field doesn't match exactly it just goes to whatever that apps default is. If you were trying to push your contacts to google same thing would happen, only the problem would show in google.

This is just one of those areas where no one decided to make a standard.