Syncing Help - 2 Macs, 2 MobileMe accts, 1 iTunes Library, an iPhone and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ibicycle, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ibicycle macrumors newbie

Not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but wasn't sure where else to put it sine it involves so many things. Alright, here's the situation. I have an iMac and my wife has a Macbook. We each have our own mobileme accounts. We have always just kept all the music on my iMac because she doesn't have enough space, and why have everything twice anyway. This was never a problem in the past, as I had an iPhone and we each had an iPod as well. Now she just got an iPod touch and it's making things complicated. My iTunes library is on an external drive, so I thought I would just shut down iTunes on the iMac then open iTunes on the Macbook and point to the library and sync her iPod Touch that way, but the applications don't show up in iTunes. Then I thought I would just continue to sync her iPod Touch with my computer for the music and apps, but have it sync with her mobileme account, but I can't figure out if this can be done. Basically my goal is to be able to have the same music and apps on both the iPhone and iPod Touch, yet each have our own contacts/calendars/mail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Hi, are all the music and apps purchased under one iTunes account?

3. ibicycle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Most of the music has actually been ripped from cds, but everything that was purchased was through my iTunes account on the iMac. We don't use iTunes on the MacBook.

4. ibicycle thread starter macrumors newbie

The Solution?

I think I've got it figured out. I was trying to do everything through iTunes, and it doesn't seem like there is a way to make that work. However, I was able to go into the settings on the iPod Touch and set up syncing with my wife's MobileMe account. So now the iPod touch will sync with my iTunes, but get all its contact/calendar/mail info pushed from MobileMe. Seems like its working.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Happy to help. :)

I'll have to remember that one for next time. It'd be a bugger if you weren't already paying for Mobile Me, though.