Syncing home moves from iTunes to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kwfergy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. kwfergy macrumors newbie

Since iCloud came out, I have purchased a new MBP. Since there is no need to sync with a computer anymore since iCloud, my iPhone 5 has never been synced with my MBP. However, I created a home movie a couple of nights ago and exported it to iTunes. When I plugged my iPhone into the MBP to transfer the movie over, I had to check the "Manually manage music and vidoes" button on the summary tab of the iPhone sync screen. When I did this, it said it would have to erase the contents of my phone in order to sync since I had never synced with that computer. I don't want to erase everything on my phone. What's the best way to get a home movie from iTunes to my phone?

2. CosmoPilot, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

You can use the cloud & iTunes at the same time, just not for the same content.

I still manually use iTunes for photos and movies. When you plug your phone into your MBP, click on your iPhone (top right) in iTunes. Then go to the movie tab at the top and use the MBP's library instead. All the other tabs across the top (I.e., music) leave unchanged.

To get home movies imported to your iTunes library is a bit of a pain. The way I do it (assuming the movie was taken from your iPhone). Import the movie to iPhoto. Once in iPhoto, export the movie to your desktop. Ensure you select "original format" (Not JPEG) and select the quality. Once exported to your desktop, you can delete the video from iPhoto. Now, go to iTunes and select "import to library" then browse to the desktop and find your movie. It is now imported into the "home movies" section of iTunes.

To sync movies from iTunes, do as instructed above. Since we don't have a method of uploading movies into the cloud, you'll have to manually sync movies from iTunes to your iPhone. You do not have to select "manually manage videos" on the summary tab.

3. kwfergy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. I have some questions about your instructions, but I'm not at home by my computer right now, so I'll follow your directions first when I'm home, and then see if I still have any questions.

Thanks again.

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

No worries, let me know if you have any issues.