Syncing iCal and Address Book

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soundhound, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

How does this work with iPhone 3G. When they gave me my lovely new 3G, it had gotten all my iCal entries (except to dos) and full contact list from Address book. But does this work through .Mac syncing, or some other way. I'm not sure that the iPhone is listed in my iMac as one of the syncing devices. I think it just has the two I've been syncing, my Macbook pro and my iMac.

thanks!

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If you already using .Mac (Now known as MobileMe) to keep your mac's in sync you can use this to sync your new iphone.

On your iPhone Under Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calender .... click "Add Account" and hit the mobileme button.

Enter your MobileMe (.Mac) information and check which options you want synced. You can either sync everything or disable features you don't want (For instance if you don't use the .Mac/MobileMe email etc)

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aha, I figured I needed to do that. Thanks!

So it somehow got all my calendar and address book information when it was set up, but probably isn't doing regular syncs yet?

4. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

since the iphone works like an ipod, you can also sync through itunes. when connected, go to the phone in itunes source panes and the tabs in the main window will give you your options

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will that allow me to sync bookmarks, ical and address book info, etc?

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's either/or and both will allow you to sync those options.

Are you saying updates are not being made to your phone?

If so be sure the following option is turned on (If your using mobileme):

Settings->Fetch New Data->Push->ON

If your missing something (IE bookmarks for instance) make sure that option is turned on for the account. Again:

Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calender->MobileMe/.mac Account (Should be username@me.com)->Turn which features you want on/off.

7. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have Contacts, Address book and bookmarks info from my iMac, but I don't think I've set it up for syncing through MobileMe yet. I have loaded things on there from itunes, so maybe that's how it happened?

If it's already syncing through iTunes, will setting up syncing through MobileMe screw things up?

Which is the better way to do it?

Thanks!