Syncing Ical from Mac to Iphone Please Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alliharden, Oct 24, 2009.

1. alliharden macrumors newbie

I am trying to find a way to simply sync the Ical on my macbook to the ical on my iphone without having to plug my phone into my computer. I've looked at MobileMe and BusySync and I am totally confused. Is there a way to do this without syncing contacts and Google Calendar and all that.

I don't currently use Google Cal but if I have to use it to have the three synced that would be fine.

Any suggestions?

2. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

I'm pretty sure you can choose what you want to sync on your iPhone, so you would only select Calendar...not Contacts or Mail.
    I have the option when I use my Ecxhange account and can switch each item on or off.

You'd set up the Google calendar on your Mac and on the iPhone and that should be it.
    Address book won't sync to Google unless you ask it to, neither will Apple Mail.

I think..

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Here's how MobileMe looks on your phone. It will do exactly what you want.

There are cheaper options (I think google will work if you have Snow Leopard) but I don't have experience with them. All I can say is that I'm 100% satisfied with MobileMe.

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
  4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you dont need snow leopard to sync ical with google calendar, thats only address book. just set your ical up with caldav.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I thought that was a new feature in Address Book.

The older ones can do it too?

6. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Agree totally. Mobile Me costs, but is excellent.

7. phishindsn macrumors regular

This can easily be done with Google Calendar and iCal.

First set up a calendar in google calender. You don't need to start posting events on your gcal. Just set one up.

In Ical - follow these instructions for setting up ical to sync with gcal.
    http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358#ical

Once setup, you can post events in ical under you gcal profile. (They should start syncing easily.

On your iPhone set up your gcal info. (Here's a walk-through http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2009/06/17/howto-sync-google-calendar-on-iphone-os-3-0/)
    Create a Caldav account under General-->Mail
    With this info.
    Server:www.google.com
    Username: your gmail username
    Password: duh
    Description: whatever you want.
    Use SSL: ON
    Port 443
    Account URL: https://www.google.com:443/calendar/dav/username%40gmail.com/user
    username%40gmail.com = username@gmail.com where %40 represents @

Hope that makes sense. I have been keeping my synced for a long time this way. My wife updates the iCal from home, and it hits my phone instantly. It's been great for me.

8. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

we are talking about ical, which can be synced with google with caldav in leopard or snow leopard.

9. alliharden thread starter macrumors newbie

10. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Could someone please tell me if there is anything to simplify what I do today?

What I have:
    -A laptop at work (WinXP) with my outlook calendar for pro events
    -A MBP at home with iCal for personal appointments, birthdays, etc...

What I need:
    -I need on my iPhone both my pro outlook events & personals iCal events on different calendars (but i can view them all at once if i select ALL on iPhone cal

What I do:
    -Subscribed to google agenda
    -Installed google cal sync software on my pro laptop so al my pro events are on google agenda set up on iCal google CALdav
    -Then set up my itunes to sync with iCal so i have both personal & pro events

It works for me but is that the best set up?
    Thanks
    X

11. phishindsn macrumors regular

I think if you have your windows xp (work) computer syncing to google calendar (agenda) into one type of calendar and then have your ical (home) syncing to your 2nd google calendar...then you can create two "accounts" on your iphone.

You would need to have two calendars set up in google calendar. I am just not sure how many caldav profiles you can have on your iPhone.

Look at the bottom of the page, they talk about multiple calendars syncing with google calendar.

http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2009/06/17/howto-sync-google-calendar-on-iphone-os-3-0/

"Multiple CalDAV Calendars
    It’s possible to sync secondary calendars from Google (i.e. those that are not the “main” calendar). This is simple, but you need a special ID similar to the ICS URL. Go back to you calendar settings page where the Private Address is listed. Above there is a section labeled Calendar Address. To the very right is a Calendar ID. Copy this ID into an email and compose a URL like the following:
    https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/ [ your Google Calendar ID ] /user
    This URL is different than what the Google Calendar Help page suggests. Email this URL to yourself, copy it, then paste it into the “Server” field from above. The rest of the settings should copy itself into the Advanced Settings."

12. phishindsn macrumors regular

I just tested adding another calendar. This works fine. Now I can sync my wife's calendar and keep it separate from mine. Thanks for the idea.

13. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Thanks phishindsn. Actually i do not care much about not having both calendars (outlook & iCal) on google agenda...What matters to me is having both on my iphone & iCal and the other solution you shared is good to but is not simplified vs. mine (i guess, maybe i am wrong but would still need to be convinced about it).

14. phishindsn macrumors regular

I think the only advantage you would be getting is that you wouldn't have to dock your iPhone at home for iCal updates. It's a preference thing. I just like it because I am away from my computer a lot and often don't dock for weeks. I also like the ability for my wife to type an event on the computer at home and it hits my iphone instantly.

15. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Yes i understand and would also like to give it a try but i am facing some issues...
    I have imported my icals to my google calendar...so far so good.
    But i cannot have more than one google cal (calDAV) on my ical...as soon as i try to create a second one it tells me that i have already an account and that a second one is not possible...the ony way i found in iCal to have my 2 others local cals connected to google cal was to go to the delegate tab in iCal...but i do not like how it displays? Who did you work this out? Actually the goal would be that whenever i modify on my iphone/ical/google cal...the changes are done on the 2 others...

16. phishindsn macrumors regular

I was thinking you wanted the data to flow this way.

Work PC syncs to google calendar via web---then your iPhone syncs and sees this as Work Calendar. Any changes on your iPhone would sync only on your work outlook calendar via google-sync.

Home Mac (iCal) syncs to google calendar via web---then your iphone syncs and sees this as Home Calendar. Any changes on your iphone under that calendar would only be present on google calendar and iCal (Home) calendar.

I am not sure how to have two calendars throughout on both your work and home pc and also google calender syncs to your iPhone with out having them all being forced into one calendar.

I hope that makes sense...

17. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

This what i woud like to try but can't find a way to set it up

- My work calendar on iCal which is sync through google / This one is fine
    - I have my perso & birthday calendars on iCal but they are not syncable on google...so far i sync them with iTunes
    - I have exported my perso & birthday cal to google cal so now i have my 3 cal on Gcal but cannot sync 2 of them.

The question is how can i sync my perso & birthday iCal with google if they are only available locally on iCal?

The only way i founds to go to the delegating tab (under iCal pref, account, delegation). But i dont like the way it looks.
    I have tried to create a second iCal google (calDAV) account but it tells me only one is possible...You see the goolgle Travail (which mans Work in French) I would like another google for my personnal and a third one for my Birthday cal (Anniversaire in French)
    Can you please help?

Attached Files:

18. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Replying to mysef :rolleyes:

OK I guess i have no other choice to use the delegate option (unless someone has a better idea).

It works well but i see one drawback...before when i was entering a birthday date on my iPhone contact it would go to my mac address book when I sync with iTunes and show on iCal ticking "show birthday calendar" in iCal pref.

Now it is not the case anymore when someone gives me his birthday date it won't show to the birthday calendar subscribtion as i do not syn cal with iTunes anymore...so i have to enter it manually in my iPhone contacts (as i did before) but a second time manually either on the Gcal, iCal or iPhone cal.

Attached Files: