Syncing iCal with 2 google calendars

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DisplacedMic, May 7, 2009.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Hi all - I just used the ical calibration tool to sync ical up with my google calendar and it works like a charm. I love how i can just click on dates in Mail and add them to my iCal which then pushes i to google calendar for my wife to see... that way i can sneak tennis or a round of golf in and she can't say she didn't know :cool:

At any rate - i would like to know if there's a way to pull her cal stuff to my ical. I can see all of her stuff on my google calendar, but i dont have the "right" to add her account to ical. I assume i could just have her enter in her login info - but i would like to know if that's the best way.

thanks guys - and sorry if this has already been addressed - i did search, but had a hard time finding an answer.
    thanks a mil!
    Brian

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. eatbacon macrumors regular

You can add any google calendar for which you have 'ownership' permissions (per http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358#ical )

I just tested with my wife's calendar. I set up a calendar in her google account and shared it with my account. I set the permissions for me to 'Make changes AND manage sharing'. I was then able to use the calibration tool to add her calendar to my ical using my google account information. I am not sure if you need 'manage sharing' or if only 'make changes' is required, but I am sure you could test it out and see.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You can also just subscribe to her calendar with a link she provides. Read only, but that may be enough. Either works. I have my wife's as read only and my daughter's we both have control of.

5. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

I see - lots of great info here! Anyone mind telling me how I can add her to my iCal with just the URL? I managed to find the url (i think) I need by going into my google settings - but how do i add that url to my iCal? It's fine if it's read-only but I would like to know it's going to refresh in a timely fashion when she makes an update.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Go under the Calendar menu and choose Subscribe, then put the URL in the text field that shows up.

7. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried that - i went to my settings. clicked on her name, clicked on the ical link - pasted it under subscribe in ical and got an error message

No calendar was found on ..... check the URL.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's possible you're grabbing the wrong URL from Google Calendar.
    1. Go to the settings from Google Calendar
    2. Then go to the Details tab
    3. Scroll down to the very bottom where it says Private Address
    4. Click on the green ical button
    5. Copy the link it shows and use this URL
    This works for me at least.

9. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

ah - i see what the problem was. you're right - i was getting the wrong url...she had her cal set to private - so she either had to change that to public or provide me with the private link. got it now - all is working. thanks guys! yet again you guys are infinitely helpful :)