Syncing Imac and macbook, is it possible??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZoE, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ZoE macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!!

Im in need of a bit of help/advice!!
    I will be getting my new macbook tomorro in the black friday sale :eek::eek:

I already have an imac with all my bits on ie; softwear, music, pics, etc etc.
    I want to know if there was any way to sync the new macbook with the imac so they match each other.

or will i have to sit down for hours reloading all the softwear and transferring all my bits by usb key?

Basic idea is i want the macbook to be exactly the same as my imac so when i leave the house i have every thing with me.

Also can it be done constantly, like if i change a file on the macbook then when i get home the same file on the imac will update automaticly and vice versa?

is that possible?? am I talking a load of twaddle??

any help is apprciated!

Thanks
    Zoe!

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

The first time is easy... when you book up your new Macbook it will ask if you want to transfer your info from your own Mac. They really make it easy... and it'll be pretty much an exact copy.

When it comes to syncing constantly after that... I don't recommend it, but you can try the syncing programs the last guy wrote about. I've had experience with You Synchronize, which might be discontinued now... but it was just so-so.

3. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

as the previous poster said, i dont recommend it either, especially on a laptop which will be constantly transfering info on any single file changed.

but i would very highly recommend MobileMe. its really good and keeps everything from the dock and keychains to bookmarks and address' synced. something which is also very handy is the iDisk. you can have a constant connection with the server and you will be able to save loads of documents on that. you can also sync any photos you have in iphoto so it will end appearing on both machines. you get 50gb of storage i think, im not sure since im on the family pack and i am a member, not the master account holder.

good £85 spent. and you also have a great email service as well

4. ZoE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much guys! i didnt have a clue what i was going to do!!

I will do the initial sync but if you guys say its not good to do it all the time, then i will refrain from that!

If i get any problems ill be back! heheh

Thanks again guys!!

Zoe :eek: