Resolved Syncing iMessage between iPhone, iPad and new iMac

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Lukkee24, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Lukkee24, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

My iMessages sync between my iPhone and iPad fine, but with my new iMac that I've just set up, I can't get them to sync/ I'm sending messages from the mac to my friends iPhone, but it's all happening in a separate conversation rather than the one on my other devices.

The Apple ID is the same but I think it's because the phone number isn't on my mac, but I only have the option to add an email? Help please :D.

2. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

It's a well known problem and there isn't anything you can do about it. There has even been an article from a former Apple employee blasting how iMessage lives in a universe where time is not ordered.

3. Lukkee24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I just managed to do it by disabling iMessage on iPhone and then re-enabling it, then a box came up on my mac after about 30 seconds asking if I wanted to add my phone number to iMessage :D. Thanks anyway :).

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You may still find that one or the other of your devices/computer does not always keep "up" with iMessage conversations.

It is a known issue and Apple will have to tweak it to fix it fully.

5. Lukkee24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Mine always keep up not sure what he's talking about. iPhone 5 iPad 4 and MacBook Pro no issues

7. machv macrumors newbie

Thank you.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Set up the phone first. Get all the "addresses" you want on it under whatever AppleID you intend to use.

Then sign out of the iPad AppleID and iMac iMessage AppleID.

When you sign back in on same AppleID used for iPhone, you should get some pop-ups when they synchronize (I set up iPad second, the iMac last)

Under 6.1.2, I have easily gotten all 3 to cooperate.

9. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

iMessage works fine here. Set all your devices to use the Phone Number when sending messages and it should all work fine. I'm sitting here as we speak in a group conversation watching it all update correctly on my phone which is sitting next to my macbook.