Syncing iOS apps to iMac

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by colodane, Dec 28, 2012.

1. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Not sure exactly where to ask this question, but I'll try here first.

I have an iPad 2 that was previously synched to my MacBook. I've since purchased a 2011 iMac and am getting ready to sell the MacBook, so want to eliminate any dependance on it.

Some time ago I deselected synching of calendars, email, music, etc. etc. from the MacBook and selected them on the iMac so am now synching everything except for IOS apps directly to the iMac either via USB, wi-fi or iCloud. The remaining item is syncing of the IOS apps. Questions:

When I connect the iPad to the iMac and select "sync apps", I get a warning message saying: "Are you sure you want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPad will be replaced with apps from this iTunes Library." I want to keep the apps and associated data as they are presently on the iPad and don't want to lose them, so I have not preceded from there. Am I misreading the warning message? How do I keep the iPad as is and just set the iMac up to sync any future changes?

I couldn't see any way to deselect the app syncing on the MacBook, like you can deselect synching of the other content. How do I do this (if required)?

On the iPad, in the Settings/General/iTunes Wi-Fi sync item it shows the iMac for everything except apps and the MacBook for apps. After I get the app syncing to the iMac set up, how do I get the MacBook to disappear from this listing if I can't deselect app synching from the MacBook?

Answers to these and any other questions I wasn't smart enough to ask will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

What you need to do is use a USB cable on your iMac, and make sure your library is on your iMac. Select yes on that pop-up about the library the iMac, but make sure you're signed in with your Apple ID on your iMac's iTunes. After that everything will transfer back from your iPad to your computer, and then back to the iPad -.- so dumb I know...

But before you do that, I'll let someone else on the forum just double check that I'm right...

3. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I know when I have downloaded some apps from either on my iPhone or iPad, and I want to then transfer these apps to my computer the next time I sync to it I do the following.

When the device appears on the left hand side, right click on it, and choose transfer purchases. This then transfers all content that is not already in my iTunes library/already on your computer, from my iPad and onto my computer.

4. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Thank you Spyguy100709 and Fatboy71 for your responses.

Spyguy, I'm not sure I'm following what you said. On the left sidebar of my iTunes screen I do have a "Library" header above my iMac iTunes content. When my iPad is connected via USB, the sidebar also shows the iPad content below, but without a "Library" header. What do you mean by "Select yes on that pop-up about the library the iMac" ?? I see no pop-up. How do I get the pop-up?

Fatboy71, thanks for the suggestion of selecting the option to "Transfer purchases". I hadn't done that before. I tried this today, and it seemed to work, but it took 10 hours to transfer all my iPad apps. Haven't proceeded further yet, but I still get the warning message if I click on "sync apps". Are you saying that it is now OK to go ahead with the app syncing, since the apps and associated data should be the same on both iPad and iMac?

Of course my iPad still shows syncing of apps with my old MacBook and syncing of other content to the iMac.

Any other suggestions or clarifications from you or others before I proceed?

Thanks again!

5. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

If you have chosen transfer purchases and you have left the transfer purchases process to COMPLETE FULLY. Then I cannot see there been any problems because all of the content thats on the iPad will then have been copied over to your iMac.

The warning when you click on sync apps, I expect is popping up because iTunes on the iMac knows that your iPad has not been synced to that iMac before. Has I've said before, if the transfer purchase process has been left to complete fully, then the only thing that can then have been copied to your iMac is the contents of your iPad. :)

6. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Resolved

Thanks, Fatboy71, for the advice. I did the syncing this morning and it worked well, resulting in identical apps/data on both iPad and iMac. Also, now the app sync message on the iPad referring to the MacBook is gone, and the iPad only shows the latest sync of apps and all other info to the iMac.

Thanks again and Best Regards