Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I have lots of photos in my photo app on my iPad and I back up newly purchased apps by going into iTunes. A friend of mine told me that the photos that i have on the iPad are not backed up in iTunes when I sync and backup. Is that true, that my photos are not backed up and only the apps are. If so how can I preserve and baçk up the photos into iTunes if I had to restore everything due to a new, stolen, or lost iPad? I really don't understand the process and can anyone seriously advise how to do it.
Thanks for a reply

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I'm pretty sure they are backed up. I restored my iPad from a backup a few times and the images I had downloaded from within an app were still there after I restored. It may have synced them with iPhoto, I'm not sure. All I know is they were there, so there is a way to back them up.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Photos in the camera roll ("Saved Photos" album) are backed up. Any other albums that were originally synced from a computer are not.

It is a good idea to periodically transfer the pictures in the camera roll to a computer, in case your iPad ever experiences overall system problems that require you to restore as new in order to resolve them.

If you are on a Mac, I believe iPhoto should start up when you have pictures in the camera roll. On Windows, look in My Computer, and your iPad should show up as a "camera" device when there are pictures in the camera roll.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the replies. I notice that when I hook up the iPad to my iMac computer iPhoto opens up, and then I close it out and open up iTunes. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something when iPhoto opens up with my iPad connected? The iPad syncs and backs up using iTunes, so where does iPhoto come into the picture, and what do I do with iPhoto when it first opens up? And also how would I back up ALL photos, not only from the camera onto the iPad but all the ones that I have in the photo app? This is what is confusing to me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I notice that when I hook up the iPad to my iMac computer iPhoto opens up, and then I close it out and open up iTunes. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something when iPhoto opens up with my iPad connected? The iPad syncs and backs up using iTunes, so where does iPhoto come into the picture, and what do I do with iPhoto when it first opens up? And also how would I back up ALL photos, not only from the camera onto the iPad but all the ones that I have in the photo app? This is what is confusing to me.

To transfer pictures from camera roll ("saved pictures") to computer:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

All other pictures do not need to be backed up, because they are copies of pictures that are already on your computer. You should of course back up all data files on your computer. But that's a separate process that does not involve your iPad.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Actually, you don't need to even bother with iPhoto. You can actually plug in the iPhone or iPad to the computer and open Preview, click on FILE > which will then display a drop down menu which says "Import From..." and will show the name of your iPhone (or iPad). You can then click on that and there will appear a full listing of all the images, plus thumbnails, that are in your "Camera Roll." From there you can import all to your desktop or any folder, can delete, can move them around....do whatever you want. For some reason Apple doesn't tell you this -- I learned about it in the September 2010 issue of MAC|LIFE.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri

When you plug in your iPad and iPhotos opens look in the left column for "Devices" and click on it and you will see all the photos that are on the iPad but not in iPhoto. From there you will be able to import them to iPhoto so you will have a copy on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.